Garage Door Installation - Removed Bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had a sectional garage door with a track mounted motor fitted by a national company.

My garage is made out of breeze blocks with a pillar half way down the wall either side. The roof was upgraded over a decade ago from a flat roof to a tiled pitched roof.

The fitters had to remove bricks from the top of this pillar for the track and motor (track mounted motor).

Could this cause any structural issues?

Sponsored Links
Presumably the pillar is there to locally thicken the wall to stop the walls falling in on windy days. If it's just a brick at the top that's not in itself supporting anything above, it should be nor a big problem to remove, especially if the wall is tied in to the roof properly.
However as always, photos or drawings would help.

Thank you for the quick reply. That's what I'm hoping but I'm not a building expert.

I've uploaded a couple of pictures of each pillar.

20161010_183003.jpg 20161010_183011.jpg

I can only see 2 pics in total, but it looks like in the first one your roof is strapped down to the wall alright. Personally I wouldn't worry unless it's in an exposed location. Does look like they skimped on fixings on that back bracket in the secon dphoto though - might be worth adding some more. There was an incident with some "hi fold doors" the other year in guildford where they dropped down unexpectedly at a bad moment. That was a design flaw, but I'd always be careful with anything overhead that it's adequately fixed.

Sponsored Links
Sorry I meant two, one of each side. I had mentioned the fixing and it has been "reinforced" connected to the beams as they stated there was nowhere suitable in the brick. I'll upload an updated picture of it later tonight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back