How to wire 2x 2 way switches 2 strip lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 21' x 6' veranda that I am refurbishing and I need to install 2x 4' fluorescent strip lights.
2x 2 way switches that originally controlled one strip light are already installed at each end of the room and are connected together at L1 & L2 with T&E. The common terminals on each switch have separate single wires, one has black and the other red, which have been cut along their length and do not connect to anything.
The original live T&E feed is cut and needs to be reconnected and is currently secured with insulation tape.
My question is, how do the wires connect to the the switches and new strip lights. I have searched and found several diagrams but they do not relate to my specific installation. Can someone draw a diagram showing how the the live wire feed is connected to the switches and lights.
Before someone says 'get an electrician', I am competent and want to do this myself.

Sponsored Links
If you are genuinely competent then you will be able to develop the necessary information from here

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37582

If the veranda is open to the outside then the installation is considered to be external and some extra care ( and knowledge ) may be needed.

Hi and thanks for the fast reply!
I did see this and have taken a closer look and can see now how it will work. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
The switches are correct but you must have a live, a neutral and earth to both lights.

Why are you using outlet plates? Can you not run the cable to the light?

The switches are correct but you must have a live, a neutral and earth to both lights.

Why are you using outlet plates? Can you not run the cable to the light?

The outlet plates along with metal channel will be fixed to the brick wall and then plastered over. I will of course connect the earths. So is this good to go?

The outlet plates along with metal channel will be fixed to the brick wall and then plastered over. I will of course connect the earths.
Ok.

So is this good to go?
No, you have wired the lights in series they must be in parallel.

Just draw the diagram with only one outlet plate and light and then continue the L and N (and E) to the second plate.

EFLImpudence";p="2909164 said:
The outlet plates along with metal channel will be fixed to the brick wall and then plastered over. I will of course connect the earths.[\quote]
Ok.

So is this good to go?
No, you have wired the lights in series they must be in parallel.

Just draw the diagram with only one outlet plate and light and then continue the L and N (and E) to the second plate.

OK, I see now! Thanks for that.

electrics:lighting:wall-lights.gif

I would bring all three conductors into the switch - mains live, neutral and earth.
At the switch put your mains live (brown) into L1 as you have drawn.
Put the neutral (blue) into a connector block.
Put the sleeved earth into the backbox lug or if not available a connector block.
Then run T&E from this switch to your first light:
Put the switch live (brown) into L2.
Put the neutral (blue) into the neutral connector block.
Put the earth (sleeved) into the earth lug or connector block.
Your three core from the first switch to the second is okay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back