Wiring a 1 way 3 gang using a 2 way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to wire in 3 separate lights from a 3 gang switch 1 way. The aim is to take a single t&e from the mcb to the switch point and from there 3 individual t & e cables to each of the lights. Just wanted to double check how to do this using a 2 way switch (I couldn't get hold of a 1 way 3 gang. My plan was to connect the neutral from the mcb to the 3 neutrals from the light fittings using an additional connector and then to connect the live feed from the mcb to each of the L1 connectors using jumpers. I was then planning to connect the live wire from each of the 3 individual light fittings to the COM connector independently of each other (without jumpers). All the earth will be connected at the switch point using a connector too. Does that make sense or is there a better way of configuring this?
AytAI5w.jpg

Sponsored Links
It's more usual to connect the supply to the COM terminals and the individual lights to the L1s, but either way will work.

Sponsored Links
When using a two way switch on a one way circuit my preference is supply to L1, This avoids the L2 terminal becoming Live when the switch is OFF
Surely the proper advice (especially for DIYers) would be to disconnect power before removing switches, sockets, etc.?

Then it doesn’t matter a jot if L2 might become live.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back