How to wireMotion Sensor to replace light switch in bathroom

I've just bought a sensor to replace my pull cord in a toilet. On the sensor there is inputs for Live In, Neutral, Live Out.

Does this mean i need to run a constant live feed to the sensor ? as when i tried it with just the live in & neutral from the switch the sensor worked but it wouldn't turn the light on.

Do i need to run the live feed back to the junction box or back to the light ?

At the switch point you don't have a neutral. You have live in and switched live out. You need a neutral, you have to replace the cable with a 3 core and earth.

Sponsored Links
It would have been better if you had started a new thread of your own.!

However, as it is christmas…

At teh light switch you have two wires, one of these is live, the other is switched live (NOT A NEUTRAL)

So the two wires that you have are the live in and the live out. You need two things

1. An understanding of how lighting circuits work. See the WIKI //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:lighting_circuit_layouts

2. A neutral from the same lighting circuit.

Suggest you try connecting the sensor at the light, rather than at teh switch.

I don't understand why people want these PIR thingies controlling the bathroom light.

Stayed in a hotel with them once, you lie back in the bath to relax and the light goes out . . . .

Or similarly when sitting on the throne the light goes out. . . . .

Right pain in the proverbial, having experienced them I would never install one.

Teach the kids to turn off the light - do you have PIRs on their bedroom lights as well?

Sponsored Links
My cursor is hovering over the IGNORE button.

Your posts make no sense, and please learn how to use the quote facility…..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back