passive pir sensor in the bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, i bought a passive pir sensor to be added to the bathroom switch cord.
The pir sensor has 3 thin cables: 1 red, 1 blu, 1 brown.
The ceiling switch has 3 cables: 1 green/yellow ( earth), 1 thick brown, 1 thin brown.
how do i connect all together?
please help
ffaedda

Sponsored Links
What we need to know to advise on how to wire it up is what you plan to switch with the PIR.

From the sounds of it, you have an extractor fan connected to the light, which you wish to switch from the PIR?

Give us more information and we will be able to give a fuller answer.

Gavin

p.s. are you sure about the wires in the ceiling switch? if there are only two non-earth wires I would expect them to be the same size.

Word of Caution

Most passive infra red sensors designed for indoor use will not work reliably in areas high humidity such as a bathroom or shower room.

There are sensors that are designed for such areas which have a vapour proof housing.

Warm air rising from a heated towel rail could trigger a badly sited sensor.

Bernard

Sharnbrook

Sponsored Links
You have 3 wires at the switch, two brown and an earth, you may find the thicker bn is a blue sleeved which normally is switched live. If so this means there is no neutral at the switch hence a normal mains PIR cannot be connected until this has been resolved. What do the PIR instructions say? Is it an outdoor PIR?

thanks all
the pir i bought is for outdoor, there is not heating in the bathroom.
there is an extractor fan in the bathroom, which is connected to the light, however in the storage room there is a switch, which turn off the fan.
thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back