PIR sensor in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Could really do with some advise in fitting a PIR sensor in the bathroom. The bathroom is fully enclosed (no windows~) and I have a pull cord light which must be connected to the fan as it comes on with light. Because there is never any light in there we always need to put the light on hence adding in a PIR sensor. However when I took off the casing of the pull cord there is 1 Live, 1 neutral and 1 earth wire (perfectly normal. And the sensor has places for them all, (now the confusing bit) The sensor also has 2 spare cable positions with switch symbol on it - What goes here as the light doesnt work if I just do a straight connect like for like. The sensor also have a small length of joining cable in the box.

If anybody has any suggestions then I would be more than gratful for your advise,

Hope to hear some suggestions soon,

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Somebody else asked this question recently

there is 1 Live, 1 neutral and 1 earth wire
No. there is Live ( probably the red ) and Switched Live (probably the Black which should have a red sleeve on it ) There is no neutral

The PIR requires Live and Neutral to power its detector. These are normally marked L and N There is a separate pair of contacts for the switch.

One of these must be linked to Live and the other is then the switched live to the lamp.

As a normal switch doesn't need a neutral there will not be a neutral ( or highly unlikely to be a neutral ) where you are fitting the PIR.

You will need to buy a length of triple and earth to replace the twin and earth between ceiling rose ( lamp ) and switch. The new third wire will be the neutral.

Do NOT use the bare earth wire as the neutral.

Thanks for the advise, SOunds like a bit of a bigger job than I first thought then, a freind of mine has suggested to sleeve the earth and use that!! - Surely that cant be safe(not going to do it if its not safe). Think I will leave it as a pull swithc but just update it!

Thanks

Using the earth wire is NOT sensible safe or complient with regulations.

And also a PIR in a bathroom is not a good idea. When it times out as you lay in a hot bath you are often invisible to it due to the warmth of the bath masking the warmth of you body. Waving to it may not work. So then you have to get out of the bath and into a colder area of the room before PIR can see you moving. In the dark with wet feet. Not safe

Sponsored Links
Waving to it may not work. So then you have to get out of the bath and into a colder area of the room before PIR can see you moving. In the dark with wet feet. Not safe

Blimey, you must have a big bathroom! My daughters are always moaning about the ones I fitted because when they’re having a "chill out soak” with candles they can't stay still enough to stop the light coming on :LOL:

http://www.danlers.co.uk/pir/pirhome.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back