Wiring a PIR in bathroom help...

but even if you sleeve it blue on the new cable, the old one will still be black so still have brown phase and black neutral at the joint..
You can sleeve the old cables with harmonized coloured sleeve at the interconnection if you like. On a new harmonized cable black is a L2 phase conductor.

Sponsored Links
Col jack - I have no axes to grind, dont give two hoots about Part P, couldnt care less about your interpretation against mine ( BTW your wrong) this guys going to hurt himself

approved document page 8 "Additional notes" section b.

Replacement, repair and maintenance jobs are generally not notifiable, even if carried out in a kitchen or special location or associated with a special installation.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the input guys!!

A two wire PIR would be great but the one mentioned above turns the lights off, not on....

but even if you sleeve it blue on the new cable, the old one will still be black so still have brown phase and black neutral at the joint..

or if you sleeve the old one at this end as well, you should sleeve it the other which then leads you all round the house to do all the neutrals.. :rolleyes:

damage...

heres a quick sketch of what you should end up with...

pirwire.JPG

Thanks for the picture, makes it much easier to understand :)

Another question though, one of the blick wires has a red sleeve on it and from what you said in an earlier post this is a switched live, is that correct?

Or should I not worry about that and just connect up the PIR as in the diagram? One other thing, is there an easy way to find out what set of wires are the feed and what ones go to the lights?

Thanks

Damage

approved document page 8 "Additional notes" section b.

Replacement, repair and maintenance jobs are generally not notifiable, even if carried out in a kitchen or special location or associated with a special installation.

aint a replacment and you full well know it - and how wooly is " generally not .........."

we have since deduced that he does have a neutral there so no change in cabling is required..

ergo it's a straight swap of one light switch for another..

no different than changing a plastic one to brass or remote controlled one etc..

what's this "how wooly" thing you're on about?

we have since deduced that he does have a neutral there so no change in cabling is required..

ergo it's a straight swap of one light switch for another..

no different than changing a plastic one to brass or remote controlled one etc..

what's this "how wooly" thing you're on about?

er post number1 the O/P has only a " red a black and a green/yellow " and is swopping a passive device for an active device (IP44 BTW?) - take your pick

wooly - as in "usually not........" so who decides whats usual its of no use whatsoever

damages first post says "black wires" and "red wires"..... plural...

damages 4th post in this thread reveals that he has 6 wires, at the switch.. 2 red, 2 black and 2 earth..

he says one set goes to the light.. so we deduce from this that it's a feed wire and neutral to the switch, and one switched live and neutral to the light..
the switch may have been double pole, or the blacks may have been in a terminal block.

Like I said earlier - doesnt really bother me, let him do something wrong ( almost a cert. with the way he asks) tbh diy electrics bores me, just wanted to inject some responsibility into the thread - its wrong, everyone knows its wrong but hey whats the worst that`ll happen if he cant sell his house, kills someone, burns it down - at least he will be able to see whilst he has his shave in the morning (oh did the little light go off when he stopped moving?)

damage.... can you please confirm..

you have one cable at the switch that comes from somewhere...

you have another cable at the switch that goes to the first downlight..

you have another cable that goes from the first light to the second light...

can you post photo's of the wires at the switch, the cables in the loft above the switch and the 2 lights..

this will help us to confirm what you have and what you need to do..

you have one cable at the switch that comes from somewhere...

No, I have 1 cable form each light - Totaling six wires at the switch.

you have another cable at the switch that goes to the first downlight..

you have another cable that goes from the first light to the second light...

No, I have two cables, one form each light

Light Switch

The lights from in bathroom

Light 1 in Loft

Light 2 in Loft

Light switch from loft

I hope this sheds a little more LIGHT on it!

right so like I said -

no neutral (so partp applies ) plus risk of fire and a risk to life

ah, you're screwed then..

no neutral at the switch..

to be honest you'd be better getting someone in who knows what they are doing to sort that mess out for you..

those lights are wired in a very strange way...

seperate switch wires but still interlinked.. strange..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back