how too choose????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i am a single mum. and need loads of jobs doing around the house and garden. i do try to tackle the easier stuff and jobs i have tools for.
my question is how to i find a reliable odd job person who isnt going too rip me off. i'm not stupid (nurse) but have had problems in the past as us singletons seem to be easy prey for some out there.
thanks for your help
jane

Sponsored Links
only suggestion i have is to ask for recomendations.

the only "trouble" with odd job people is sometimes they need to be more than an odd job person.in hich case you would be better off at employing the correct trades person.

any one can pull a bunch of dead flowers out from a garden, but do they know a weed from a flower? (deffinition of a weed is a plant growing where you dont want one) we once eployeda "gardener" who did a nice job of digging the garden over, but pulled all the bluebells out :cry:

Hi Jane, Breezers absolutely right, ask around at work and you're bound to find someone who'll recommend a reliable person, just be suspicious if there are family ties. Always get written quotes for the work and be very clear about what's expected. It's also worthwhile checking back on here to see if the price you've been quoted is reasonable.

Try to stick to one man band local guys with smaller overheads. There are companies offering handyman services that want extortionate amounts for simple jobs like hanging a mirror, and they charge by the half hour. It all soon adds up when you want a few small jobs done.

Out of interest, is your online moniker a reference to your skills in giving injections to patients? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Hi, Jane,
You just asked the eternal question, be at least assured that even we 'old'
retired tradesmen have the same problems in finding the 'right' person to do work for us.
I would suggest you find someone capable with a relatively easily cured complaint that you can do a deal with. ;)
No really, a good reference from a friend who's had work done and references is the only way to start.

Many local councils offer a handyman (or is it handyperson) service. Or, they may have a list of vetted builders who should be reputable.

But there is no better way than personal recommendation.

Avoid the internet based 'find a trade' services.

You may also want to avoid advertising that you are single. And research what you want doing first, so that the person gets the impression that you know about the work, and he is less likely to be able to give you any speil

Hi, Jane,
I just noticed that you are a Hully Gully, :) My old stamping ground, as I am one also, however now in kent. :confused:
congrats on the footer BTW! :D
Unfortunately I left Hull 20 years ago and all my old muckers will be dead :cry: or retired now. so try the council list as Woody suggests. :idea:

Hi, Jane,
I just noticed that you are a Hully Gully, :) My old stamping ground, as I am one also, however now in kent. :confused:
congrats on the footer BTW! :D
Unfortunately I left Hull 20 years ago and all my old muckers will be dead :cry: or retired now. so try the council list as Woody suggests. :idea:

thanks for the reply i will try the council
thanks again
jane

Many local councils offer a handyman (or is it handyperson) service. Or, they may have a list of vetted builders who should be reputable.

You may also want to avoid advertising that you are single. And research what you want doing first, so that the person gets the impression that you know about the work, and he is less likely to be able to give you any speil
thanks i will give it ago
jane

Try to stick to one man band local guys with smaller overheads. There are companies offering handyman services that want extortionate amounts for simple jobs like hanging a mirror, and they charge by the half hour. It all soon adds up when you want a few small jobs done.

Out of interest, is your online moniker a reference to your skills in giving injections to patients? :LOL:
no its in referance to trying too use a hammer
jane :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

thankyou
jane
xxx

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back