How vital is Benchmark long-book completion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,

Following the ongoing saga of my Gledhill BoilerMate 2000, and my new battle with BovisHomes, I have a quick question.

When the BoilerMate was commissioned, the intstaller presumably should have filled out the log book to show that the system had been checked. In our case this was not done, and I would like to know if it is a common occurance for log books to be left blank? Is completing a log book in any way a legal stipulation?

Thanks for advice. This is an invalauble website and I am very grateful for all the feeback to date.

Best wishes to all.
Sally

Sponsored Links
its common not to fill them out, especially with housebuilders.

it should be filled out as its likely to invalidate your guarantee if its not.

Is completing a log book in any way a legal stipulation?

It was supposedly woven into the Building Regs, though in practice has been as sucessful as enforcing a regulation that forbids urinating whilst swimming at sea.

Your Gledhill probably has quite a long guarantee but this will probably require the Benchmark to have been completed to "confirm" the right inhibitors have been used.

In practice all the benchmark does is to let the installer tick the boxes. It does not test the water.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

I was an interesting point made about housebuilers tending not to bother so much with the log book. Why is this?

Also, do you have to be Corgi registered to fill in a Benchmark log book?

Thanks for advice
Sally[/quote]

Hi there,

I was an interesting point made about housebuilers tending not to bother so much with the log book. Why is this?

Probably the same reason they dont bother putting all the screws into the door hinges, fasten on the staircase properly etc etc.

Hi there,

Also, do you have to be Corgi registered to fill in a Benchmark log book?

Thanks for advice
Sally
[/quote]

if you were not corgi registered and filled it in, i think daft might be the word.

Unfortunately installers on new build are in it for the money rather than the quality, hence the term 'house bashers'.

The individual who fitted yours probably wasn't even registered other than under his firms registration, in fact a lot are just 'dragged off the street' to get the work done :eek:

Oh let s be honest how many do you sse that are filled in with the exact figures you see in manufacturers instructions .everything spot on.. bullsh#te.

Not mine, I can never get the temp diff exactly 20C :cry: but the gas rate is usually near enough spot on ;)

if you were not corgi registered and filled it in, i think daft might be the word.

I saw a perfectly filled in benchmark with the flow and return temperatures filled in to one place of decimals! the only part missing was he had no CORGI number. A perfectly fitted boiler too!

Tony

we all may moan about Europe, but i have been told that the having a guarantee for stuff you buy is a right as said in court

i don't know if this is true, but i am a service agent for biasi and they told me that they have to give you a guarantee with or without the benchmark book been filled in. they also told me that baxi (another boiler maker) try to say once that because the benchmark was not filled in that they where not going to give a guarantee. they where taking to court and baxi lost because having a guarantee is a right no matter if the benchmark is filled in or not.

but please bear in mind that if the "thing" have been put in wrong and that has caused the fault they are with in there right to give no guarantee if they can show that is what cause the fault

also as a service agent for heat-line and biasi i say 90% are not filled in

Too be honest when ever i have called any manufacturer out and i fit a variety of boilers NONE have ever asked for bench mark book...According to customers, although this is only to a very few boilers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back