How was it for you?

Is Gordon fiddling while capitalism burns?

• Yep, he's a twonk, too little, too late

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • No, he's got his finger on the pulse, has our glorious leader

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Don't care, I'm on a three month world cruise...!

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sooo, ££££sBN bail out and a half percent cut in the base rate. Has it made you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, or do you think they're running around like headless chickens? Should they have made the base rate cut much bigger, say down to 2.5%? How about just paying all our mortgages off instead? Are we all doomed? Is the cheap oil era really over? What if there was a conveyor belt somewhere in the scheme of things?

Sponsored Links
gordon is unlikely to be able to cure the global problem.

he can try to make it no worse than necessary.

trying to stop more banks going bust, and trying to protect depositors from losing all their savings, is about all he can do.

we also have a crisis of confidence, this usually takes several years to die away and is inside people's heads regardless of the economic position.

We still have some fundemental problems, like lending money to people who can't or won't pay it back, and behaving as if asset price inflation (e.g. what people will pay for houses or oil) will continue for ever and prices can grow infinitely

Personally, I have no faith in GB.

When he was a newbie in the job of Chancellor, he made the gigantic (and good) decision of giving power to the Bank of England. It made him look very clever.

Later, I found that he was required to do so under European Law, so his 'decision' turned out merely to hyperbull.

I'm not saying that he was a bad CotE, just that perpetrating the lie lost him all benefit of my doubt.

Dont forget money is just paper and bits of metal.

Feel more confident?

Sponsored Links
Hmm. Nor can I now.

I'll have a more detailed search and let you know what I find.

I think we should storm the Bastille

Capitalism is bankrupt, and I'm starting to lean towards the the views of Groucho Marx

ive no faith in the governmenet or the chancellor. It is however a difficult position and it is a complete lack of confidence. Simply cutting the intrest rate too much will lead to higher inflation. It will calm down at some point, and maybe as the intrest rate cuts, lower fuel and the knock on of lower food, transport etc gets passed on it will start to have some good effect.
A lot of joe public are being cautious at the moment.

From your link, Softus. this other part of the 1992 Maastrich treaty seems to uncover it.
PROTOCOL on certain provisions relating to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

THE HIGH CONTRACTING PARTIES,

RECOGNIZING that the United Kingdom shall not be obliged or committed to move to the third stage of Economic and Monetary Union without a separate decision to do so by its government and Parliament,

NOTING the practice of the government of the United Kingdom to fund its borrowing requirement by the sale of debt to the private sector,

HAVE AGREED the following provisions, which shall be annexed to the Treaty establishing the European Community:

1. The United Kingdom shall notify the Council whether it intends to move to the third stage before the Council makes its assessment under Article 109j(2) of this Treaty.

Unless the United Kingdom notifies the Council that it intends to move to the third stage, it shall be under no obligation to do so.

If no date is set for the beginning of the third stage under Article 109j(3) of this Treaty, the United Kingdom may notify its intention to move to the third stage before 1 January 1998.

2. Paragraphs 3 to 9 shall have effect if the United Kingdom notifies the Council that it does not intend to move to the third stage.

3. The United Kingdom shall not be included among the majority of Member States which fulfil the necessary conditions referred to in the second indent of Article 109j(2) and the first indent of Article 109j(3) of this Treaty.

4. The United Kingdom shall retain its powers in the field of monetary policy according to national law.

Sponsored Links
Back