To the baby boomers. Enjoy!!

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's
and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or
drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can,
and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies
in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or
cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets,
not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car
seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one
bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cakes, white bread and real butter and drank
cola made with sugar, but we weren't overweight
because,

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day,
as long as we were back when the streetlights came
on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of
scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find
out we forgot the brakes. After running into the
bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nitendo's, X-boxes,
no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable,
no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's,
no cell phones, no personal computer! s, no Internet
or chat rooms.......

WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth
and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the
worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays,
made up games with sticks and tennis balls and,
although we were told it would happen, we did
not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and
knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just
walked in and talked to them!

football teams had practice sessions and not everyone made
the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal
with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke
the law was unheard of. They actually sided with
the law!

These generations have produced some of the best
risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of
inovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility,
and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

If YOU are one of them...CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who
have had the luck to grow up as kids, before
the lawyers and the government regulated so
much of our lives for our own good.

While you are at it, forward it to your kids
so they will know how brave (and lucky) their
parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the
house with scissors, doesn't it?!

Sponsored Links
if my perants were alive the dogood squad would lock them up for ever, mymum even took photos of us as kids i cant belived they got away with that :LOL:

Bows and arrows ,cross bows , finding a wasps nest and digging it up and setting fire to it covered in stings and showing them to your mates like they where medals.

Just about every kid having had stitches somewhere on there body.

When the most dangerous thing a knife was used for was seeing who would chicken out first as your feet got closer together as your mate stuck it in the ground.

The odd one eyed kids about who had been unlucky and took a pellet from a gat gun.

Having all your mates names on your plaster after breaking your arm or leg having fun and laughing about it afterwards.

Sneaking out one of your dads cans and sharing it with your mates only for one of them to get pis#ed on a mouthful

Having a bike that was made up from at least 5 others you had found and tarted up with coloured insulating tape.

Ah those where the days

Bows and arrows ,cross bows , finding a wasps nest, covered in stings, and, just about every kid having had stitches somewhere on there body, seeing who would chicken out first as your feet got closer together as your mate stuck it in the ground, one eyed kids about who had been unlucky and took a pellet from a gat gun, breaking your arm or leg, get pis#ed on a mouthful

Glad I didn't go to your school :eek: with all those wasps, .177 pellets, arrows, bolts, knives and vomit flying about.

Sponsored Links
My mum used to beat us viciously with a stick and when I grew up I thanked her for seeing us right! :D

Showing my age and poverty, but football boots that had nail in studs with the nails coming through the insoles and using football cards as cushions to stop your feet getting holes in them.
Remember my first pair of normal boots. Red Pele boots with moulded white studs circa 1970 thought i was the bee`s knees , along with those cotton track suits that grew ten sizes and weighed a ton when they got wet.
As a 8 year old having to turn up in a shirt and tie (oh and short trousers) and ordered not to swear as we where playing Glasgow Rangers boys club and we would be subbed and banned.
Fek short trousers, memories, didn`t get my first longies till i was 8 and having to walk to school in 12 inches of snow dragging my wee brother was absolute fun . Good job for my wellies. Luxury :LOL:

My first "proper" footy boots were Bobby Moore ones out of a catalogue. They were great after years of them wooden studs. Our gym teacher was a sadistic f*cker, whenever we had a footy lesson he'd go in goal and launch the old casey as high as he could in the air. I was always the daft bstrd who headed it, and more often than not it would be the lace, it only stunned you a bit if it was dry, but in the rain it was deadly, never done us any harm though. Never done us any harm though, did I tell you about my first proper footy boots......

My first "proper" footy boots were Bobby Moore ones out of a catalogue. They were great after years of them wooden studs. Our gym teacher was a sadistic f*cker, whenever we had a footy lesson he'd go in goal and launch the old casey as high as he could in the air. I was always the daft bstrd who headed it, and more often than not it would be the lace, it only stunned you a bit if it was dry, but in the rain it was deadly, never done us any harm though. Never done us any harm though, did I tell you about my first proper footy boots......

:LOL: :LOL: ...I loved the circle, which appeared like magic, when the wet leather football came down.

You English kids had it so easy we used to play on red cinder pitches , talk about gravel rash . Legs ripped to ribbons the whole year .
When i first moved to England as a kid i could not believe that schools had grass pitches , pure luxury :LOL: Shame about the dog sh#te on them though :cry: :LOL:

I used to go to secondary school with the bottom of my shoe, the sole , clapping as i walked along, it used to come unglued, on cheap secondhand shoes from the fruit shop!!!

me dad used to staple them back together.

Long pants at skoo, change into short ones when i got home :oops:

Sponsored Links
Back