one for the oldies

Born 56 so remember the LOT! :LOL:

Like cmother1 says, no village life in Liverpool but the community was so close knit that everyone knew everyone else and all the grown-ups were an uncle or auntie.
CM1 where did you go with your steerie? (Go-Kart to you snobbish ones! :LOL: ) Everton Brow must have been a favourite! Ours was Park Road in the Dingle. :LOL:
Didn't have to come in when the street lights came on but we had to be in a nearby street at least. As there was 7 of us in our family I know all about outside bogs and being next to last to get in the tin bath which was in the back kitchen on a Friday night.
Night time was the best time for playing hide & Seek or Kick the can. And as said, bonfire night was a neighbourhood affair where everyone turned out and fireworks were freely handed around from adults to kids because they trusted us and we daren't lose that trust by doing something stupid, (well, not in front of them. :LOL: )
Short trousers, scabby knees, nits and jam butties in the park with a bottle of sherbert water between a big gang, (and no floaties or you never got another swig!).
Sharing a double bed between the sisters either side of me, (age wise that is), and my next to eldest brother. When you got your own bed it was because you had grown up and were working, till then you shared. The bike was handed down to the next one after 2 years and tough luck if you were a girl because it was a boys bike with straight handle bars. Oh how I longed for a racer with dropped bars! :cry:
Family favourites on the radio every Sunday afternoon then the top 20 with the likes of Alan Freeman, Pete Murray etc. This was followed by a short spell of 'Sing Something Simple,' before me mam went to meet me dad in the social club and we watched the London Palladium before polishing our shoes ready for school on the Monday.

Flipping 'eck, got me all nostalgis this now! :LOL: :LOL:

Kids today?
Don't know they are born! :LOL: :LOL:

Oh and those Blakey studs!
Great on a dark winters night for sparking down the street! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
around the horn, sunday lunch, nice roast and enormous yorkshires

Around the horn, that was someone called Kenneth wasn't it?

How about Jimmy Clitheroe?, another with Windsor Davis?

Try and think of some others.

Sponsored Links
Born 56 so remember the LOT! :LOL:

CM1 where did you go with your steerie? (Go-Kart to you snobbish ones! :LOL: ) Everton Brow must have been a favourite! Ours was Park Road in the Dingle. :LOL:

Didn't have to come in when the street lights came on but we had to be in a nearby street at least.

...bonfire night was a neighbourhood affair where everyone turned out

"Steerie" - there's a word I haven't heard for nearly 50 years! I built a deluxe version once with real steering swiped from the front of a pedal car. Everton brow was a bit of a hike, but luckily we lived in Granton Road (Near Liverpool's ground) which had a reasonable slope.

The street lights were real gas in the 50s. A bloke used to come round at dusk turning them on. The cross bars to support his ladder were brilliant for tying ropes to and swinging on. Some octogenerian neighbours still had gas-only in their house until 1963.
Ahh - bonfire night.. Someone would collect scrap wood in their back yard for months and come the day it would be piled up and set light to in the middle of the street. An old piano was particularly sought after. The road was covered in granite setts so there was nothing to catch light, but the ash and stain took months to disappear.

And you tell the kids today - they won't believe you!

(Actually they will believe you, but just think you're a mad old scrote
:rolleyes: )

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL MY FRIENDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE , 50's,

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy Toffees, Gobstoppers, Bubble Gum and some bangers to blow up frogs with.

.....WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We were given air guns and catapults for our 10th birthdays,

Our teachers used to hit us with canes and gym shoes and bully's always ruled the playground at school.

And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.
And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

PS -The big type is because your eyes are not too good at your age
CARS :!: :LOL: Not until I was 10. and that was a Reliant Van :rolleyes: Before that it was in the Sidecar with Mum

Born 1953,Halebank on L'Pool outskirts so yes I am a woolyback conny,always remember the outside loo in back yard, would sit there contemplating the world, look up at the stars and think who the ferk's nicked the sh--house roof,oh happy days.

Moved to Speke when I was 12 so not far from Halebank. Used to often spend time down Oglet Lane with the local lasses. ;) :LOL:

Just curious,
how many other scousers/ex-scousers are on these boards?
Post a new thread for that one. ;)

no colour TV until i was 12! remember having to wait for those valaves to warm up! used to walk back home from school at the age of 6 and let myself in (latch door kid) down to the corner shop to get your slegs (sweets) eee, diptheria, bubonic plague, black death, them were t'days. I did I mention that we used to live in a rolled up newspaper in't middle o' road..................... newspaper, bloody luxury!

Born in the summer of love '67.

There was a time when I would rather be dead, than be seen without my davy crocket hat and my snakehook belt. :LOL: Anyone else remember these essential items of the fifties child fashion victim.

Almost forgot 'and me yoyo'

Sponsored Links
Back