how/where to damp proof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a problem with my floor and really need some good advice. At the moment I have a very solid concrete floor in my kitchen but I do know definately that it has no damp proof membrane underneath it (long story -not of my doing). The floor is pretty uneaven at the moment and it needs leveling out with a thin screed/self leveling compound 10mm. Would it be ok to put a membrane between the old concrete and the new surface. Would the compond bond to the plastic or would it HAVE to go down straight onto the old concrete. In which case how can I damp proof the floor without digging the whole lot up which I really don't want to do. Any help/suggestions would be very gratefully recieved.

Sponsored Links
in order to install a reliable mechanical dpm, the whole floor needs to be removed first.

if you have a screed on top of the concrete sub-base then you could remove the screed and install the membrane and re-screed. i'm not entirely comfortable with this method as i believe a screed should bond to the concrete sub-base directly.

there are tanking solutions out there that are applied as a liquid, but i'm not familiar with these.

also there is s.b.r liquid that readily bonds and mixes with cement. this can be used as a barrier to all manner of things, but how effective as a damp proofer, i couldn't say.

read (screwing down ply to a concrete floor) if you need more info on how to do it let me know by leaving message asking how to dpm a floor in- ( how to level a very uneven wooden subfloor) and i will write a topic on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back