How Wide a Gap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That sort of distance should the gasket around an opening window squeeze down to when it's closed? ie thickness of the thick black line in the photo? 3mm? 4mm? 5mm?

Sponsored Links
It should be touching it, not squeezing.
The pressure that you exert on the gasket transfers to the hinges and breaks them.

If there's a draft it could be an number of other things including worn hinges, poor fitting, twisted frame causing it not to touch the gasket or dropped sashes amongst numerous weird and wonderful reasons :unsure:

Well our windows leak air and the gasket isn't evenly touching. Handle side perhaps squished to 3mm, hinge side varies from window to window with one at about 6mm. I really must have a go at measuring them more accurately.

If the frames are slightly twisted, I doubt much can be done.

If the hinges are worn, I'm disappointed. They don't get open much to wear in the first place.

Anyone fancy recommending a good quality hinge brand for 12" friction stays with a 13mm stack?

Or can anyone recommend a good quality replacement seal? Probably easier to experiment with that first than replacing hinges.

It all depends where the gap is.
If its at the end nearest the hinges try putting a small blob of Vaseline in the corners of the hinges (you will see a small triangular plastic or metal tab) grease it up and open and close the window a few times. If this fails to help new hinges are required.

If the gap is at the handle end. Have a feel along the locking edge for some metal mushroom cams. There should be a small allen head adjuster on the ends. Put in an allen key and turn them a bit to tighten the window.
They are oval shaped so a little trial and error of which way to turn them may be needed.

Sponsored Links
Well I carefully measured the gasket gap across 3 windows in 8 places each. Gap varied from 2.9mm to 6.1mm. the largest were all on the stay side. Greased them up, no difference. Checked for adjusters on themushrooms and there were none.

So, it looks like all the stays need replacing. Can anyone recommend a decent brand or points to look out for? I'll be buggered if I have to replace them all again next year just cos I unwittingly bought rubbish from ebay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back