How would you build this out?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a brick inner, stone outer, rubble filled wall. The outer stone layer had a window cut in it and now the opening is supported by a large steel. We deliberately recessed the steel about 3 inches and all the build back bricks to support the stone because the original plan was to clad it with cuttings of stone removed from the wall, then strip the pebbledash from the rest of the stone wall, so the whole thing would look stone

I've since changed my mind abo removing the dash, as it seems to be a vital weather resisting component, is a huge amount of work, waste, and I'm not that bothered to see the stone (it would also upset the character), so it's going the get sandtex Plymouth grey on it instead. Around the window there will be a decorative band of buff render, and above this a bit of pebbledash needs patching in

Because stone slip was going in there but now is not, I'm left with a recess in the wall 3 inches deep that I need to fill with something that won't crack or drop off. Whatever it is will need to take a render, and can be mortared to the wall. It could also be mechanically fixed with concrete screws. It'll probably need to be about 2 inch thick to allow back mortaring and also face rendering/dashing

It's the dark heavy outline in this beautiful sketch:

• image.php

Sponsored Links
A number of things could be used such as cutting the frogs off some Flettons.

I better tell the missus I need to buy a stihl saw. Poor me

Sponsored Links
Might be overkill for a few bricks!:LOL:angle grinder if you don't mind looking like a snow man or club hammer and flat chisel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back