how would you deal with this issue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wall lights - cable needed to be extended so can locate lights in new cabinets.

On testing the cables found poor readings
L-N 230v(ish)
N-E 70v
L-E 90v

ZS not possible due to incorrect voltages.

Suggests to me a loose/bad earth connection.

Access to where the junction box could be is not possible with out major work. tiled floor above.

The planned lights for the cabinet are low voltage LEDs.

Now since we have a poor earth connection, I was reluctant to put them in, but the home owner really wants them , but without the redecorating.

I know you come across non earthed lighting circuits, which are OK as long as all is class 2, but I presume that is for existing installations.

Additions should not be made to a non compliant circuit. Is that correct.
Though its not an addition its an alteration from incandecent to LED lighting.
I guess you could argue that you have left the installation safer as you have replaced a class 1 light with a class 2

Obviously correcting the issue is the way to go, It may be another issue.
Is it a complete no-no or am I being over the top

appriciate advice.

Sponsored Links
If you're not happy with the state of the electrics and the customer won't take your professional advice, politely explain that you're unable to do the work under those circumstances and walk away. You don't have to do the work. If you think a problem could stem from the circuit then you would effectively take responsibility for the circuit and any problems by working on it in that state.

PJ

Yep what they said is spot on. Either you repair the circuit, and prove a good Zs reading at each fitting or explain to the customer why you can not do the work and leave.

Sponsored Links
Are you certain the poor connection(s) are at the junction box, and not before; where you may have access?

...and is he willing to pay for your time while you continue to trace the problem?

I might be shot down for this, but...

If a simple fitting swap (not adding lighting points etc) and you are replacing a class 1 light with a class 2 then I'd say do it as you are making installation safer (the reverse would obviously be no way)

I'd make a note of the issue on the minor works certificate and mark the elfi and r1+r2 boxes with a cross (you'll probably find you have no actual readings to record on the cert unless there is an rcd to get times of, but the important thing is you document what you have done and there is a fault

I'd look what else is on the circuit, if any other class 1 lights, I'd wander lead them and if they have open circuit cpc as well, i'd issue a danger notice with respect to those

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back