What would you do?

S

scotteng

Hello,

Did a periodic inspection today, found that the smoke alarms didnt have an earth (being class 2, they dont need to be earthed) but isnt it a requirment to have the earth present in the cables?? Means i cannot test zs also.

What would you class this as on a PIR? your advise would be very helpfull! cheers

Sponsored Links
i always find that when im doing pir tests.

the cables to the smokes should be earthed

what i normaly do is get a bit of slack on the cables and redo them :D

Sponsored Links
I'd say code 4 so long as the devices are double-insulated and do not require earthing. No different than lighting circuits without an earth.

How have they been wired?
What circuit are they on?
What cable has been used?

run on their own circuit, 1.5mm twin and earth (earth snipped back), rcd proctected same rcd as lighting circuit

yes snipped back, no slack and looks like it will be a pain to cripmp and extend too!! so should be fun re-instating

code 4, i have never seen a domestic smoke alarm that requires a CPC connection, there is a reg that stipulates that an earth should be provided at each accessory although I would treat this instance as a properly installed class 2 lighting circuit, it doesn't comply but it isnt dangerous.

I'd lean towards a code 2 myself, but can see how it could be justified as code 4, but don't think i'd be happy about saying such an arrangement does not have to be corrected in order for a satisfactory judgement

It is still poo that there is a CPC there which isn't connected and left floating so I'd err towards a code 2 also.
If there wasn't a CPC in the cable then I'd look at the circumstances, either a 4 or if the installation is supervised then no codes at all (protection by DI).

I wouldn't give this particular situation a 'code' at all, but I'd mention it in the section for additional comments - or on an appended sheet.

I hate to see snipped cpc's. I can't think of a reason for doing so, when that cpc could just as well be sleeved and tucked away safely.

My main concern with smoke detectors is that they should work properly in order to save lives. So the issuing of a 'code' seems rather petty to me. It's a different matter with other fixed points in wiring, where a Class II item might be replaced by a Class I item - but that's hardly likely to be the case with smoke detectors, unless they start to make them of cast-iron.......

Lucia.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back