How would you disguise/improve/cover this concrete monstrosity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had a large retaining wall built in our rear garden out of concrete blocks - it's a very functional wall, but doesn't look great.

I wanted to render it, but have been told render won't last due to the moisture from the soil penetrating the blocks.

Any other ideas to cover this kind of large wall area? It will enclose a patio eventually.

Attachments

• 38218138c68a544acb4b642e35223dd7.jpg
    38218138c68a544acb4b642e35223dd7.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 90
Sponsored Links
Hi Jay,

I'm not a professional, but I believe there should be a waterproofing layer between the soil and wall and also weepholes/drainage, if in place this should presumably keep moisture from the soil away from the wall and any render.

I have both painted and clad block walls with timber at mine and they both look a lot better than bare blocks.

I've seen people do good stuff with pallet wood if you can get a lot for free. Possibly uPVC siding/cladding if that's your cup of tea, I need to get more wood cladding and am crying about the price at the moment!

Fit 2 horizontal batons to it and then bamboo screening to that, there are all sorts of screening materials available if you look at a garden centre etc.

Sponsored Links
ivy is a terror to remove once it has got too big and you don't like it

fast growing climbers like Clematis quickly form an ugly mound

fast growers don't stop growing once they reach your preferred size

you could fix stainless screw-eyes to it now, and them you will be able to attach wires, nets or battens as you choose in future.

you can paint the blocks in a dull, unobtrusive colour if you want. It need look no worse than a brown fence. then, it will not catch the eye once you have something growing on it. If the wall catches the sun it will be good for grapevines and tomatoes, or tall cops like peas and beans, but these are all cut back in winter. Or you can grow a hedge in front of it.

you can put hit-and-miss battens, provided the wall behind has been painted dark it will not show. tilers battens are good value.

putting eyes or permanent battens on the wall first means you don't have to keep drilling the blocks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back