How would you heat and cool your off gas grid new build?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While looking at various options for heating a new build that is not on the mains gas grid, I find myself wondering whether anyone fits systems that use a variety of components one might normally buy separately that work together in a seamless fashion.. i.e. I'm trying to decide between things like:
Ground source HP
Air source HP
Possibly solar PV to run the above
Pellet boiler
LPG/Oil boiler and have these things delivered via lorry
Solar heating
Underfloor heating
Ceiling heating
Air con
Air heating
MVHR

Some of these things cross over, and there's so much choice and variation it's hard to know where to start, but let's say I choose GSHP, Underfloor, MVHR

In a setup such as above, can the boiler link to the MVHR, and extract heat from parts of the house where it is accumulating unwanted, and either redistribute it to the parts of the house where it's needed, or store the heat back in the ground for later retrieval? Or is the boiler largely ignorant of the existence of an MVHR, it's the MVHR's job to move hot air from the conservatory to a cold bathroom and the boiler just supplies heat independently to rooms it thinks are cold?
Does a house with an MVHR need/benefit from air con also or does the MVHR take its place? Is there a mechanism for cooling the house on a hot day using a heat pump based heating system? Is an MVHR a form of direct air heating that can take a feed from the boiler (possibly not if it's a GSHP due to the low system temps) if it needs to boost the temp of a room or do we just leave that to the UFH and boiler?

Can any of these apparently overlapping technologies be made to cover jobs of the others?

Essentially, I guess I want to know what the most sensible set of technologies is that I should install to efficiently heat and cool a family home that is in a rural location

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
The insulation is key, will keep the house warmer in winter and reduce need for cooling in summer along with well planned ventilation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back