How would you permanently attach a small shower screen to this bath surround?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to get a piece of 3mm shower screen 'glass' cut to a quarter circle, the width of the end of my bath, permanently attached to the top of the line of tiles and to the side wall to stop the shower water splashing over that end!

What type of 'channeling' or whatever you might call it should I use? Where from? Screwed (and siliconed) in place?

Thanks.

Attachments

• bath end.JPG
    bath end.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 260
Sponsored Links
OK, I knew if I typed 'safety glass', or laminate glass' or whatever, someone would derail my thread by querying why I was using the wrong sort of glass, that's all. By 'glass' I mean a suitable, approved 3mm thick piece as informed by the professional cutting it for me.

That's all.

Sponsored Links
Presumably you can direct me to a company that makes 750x750m radius quarter circle shower screens, then? Or, in the absence of that, shall I -DIY it....?
Wish there was a forum....

I think you'll have a DIY problem with this one, due to the toughening of the glass required for safety. Would a full height curved screen not be easier, as it would come complete with its fitting channel?
John :)

Thanks, Burnerman. I had considered the options there, but sadly there's a very fixed cupboard that just impinges on the 'head height' of a full height shower screen; it would have to be a mini one.

Googling 'fitting channel' has also revealed possible sources, too!

You're going to want something with an F channel profile probably, like this, but much smaller, so the fixings can go through the 'leg' of the F.

Anything with a U channel profile with a 3mm gap is going to impossible to get screws down the gap! M1.6 screws just won't cut it!

Gaz :)

I can see the 'glass' (sorry, 'freddiemercurystwin'... still awaiting your reply...? :) Or do you do a signature 'one-off' 'response' to any new post??..) - will have to be 6-8mm thick, now; so I shouldn't need the 'F'channel, but many thanks for linking for me.

Freddie- thanks- but I responded an hour and a half ago informing DIYnot in general that I now understood that the 'glass-like substance' (wink) needs to be 6-8mm thick. DIYnot guided me to that understanding.

But I am intrigued: why didn't you offer your latest bit of sensible advice (thank you) in your first foray, instead of challenging what 'glass' meant? Thus making yourself look like one of those classic '30-second-wisecrackin'/derogatory/deliberately-missing-the-point, derailing the thread, or 'question asked' ...responders'?

Genuine question?

**** sake are you some kind of cock? That's how you come across. How the **** do we know what you mean when you write glass in inverted commas? I help out pleny on here thanks very much and if you don't like the internet or all the free advice and time offered here then **** off. Genuine answer, another halfwit to avoid.

I'm sorry you feel that way, 'Freddie'. You didn't actually offer advice, in your '8 minutes later' after my OP post, did you? You asked what was obviously a goady, stupid question- what did I mean by 'glass'? I then readily explained that I didn't want to get sidelined- thus get ignored by sensible responders. I asked about channels, not glass, didn't I? I didn't want to drive away responders who might think 'Ah, already derailed by a troll', time to walk away. That would have been counterproductive.

'Glass' is the stuff that surrounds you when you have a shower in a bath tub. I am struggling to see my 'obsession' with 3mm glass, versus what I now know to be better, 6-8mm. It isn't hard (or is it?! Glass generally is!). But I was trying to avoid the goady "explain what you mean by glass, tempered? shatter-proof? laminated? how thick? Hmm?" demands - I didn't ask that question here on DIYnot. I trust the glass/acrylic bloke I use to professionally inform me about that, along with sensible responders on here (many thanks to those who have helped enormously).

Sorry that my inverted comments blinded you to my question. I did not mean to confuse you so completely. What still does confuse me is that, apart from your reference to 'obsession' on my part, re 3mm -ahem- glass, your later response was useful.

Why not approach that as your first, considered response?

For the record, wimmins forums, like Netmums and Mumsnet, would have made mincemeat of your latest response! You'd have to be far quicker on your feet than "some kind of cock".

Presumably you can direct me to a company that makes 750x750m radius quarter circle shower screens, then? Or, in the absence of that, shall I -DIY it....?
Wish there was a forum....
Would be pointless and ineffective and dangerous, that's why they are not made.

foxhole - they aren't made in those dimensions because that size is not commercially viable.

Not because it's pointless- how do you know that, in somebody else's home, that precise dimension might not be ideal? Solving a real issue? ineffective -at what? In my case, hugely effective in stopping water egress into an area I don't want it; dangerous- um, why? The correct glass for the job, properly cut and edged by a professional glass supplier, properly fitted won't be 'dangerous', just not commercially sized. Why would a bit of glass of a not-wildly-different-to-commercially-supplied dimension be 'safe', but this 'dangerous'?

Bloody hell, Mumsnet would tear a large percentage of you guys to shreds. Sorry, but true.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back