Shower screen on bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Never used one of these before and the first time using it the screen had swinged opened a bit and managed to splash water on the floor for 20-30secs.

There is an ever so slight gap when the screen is in position but if it's held it place it seems to stop the water, so probably needs a slight adjustment.

However it does seem a bit naff, especially as when you open the shower screen the water that was settling on the edge of the bath will run down the outside of the bath.

I am getting some vinyl fitted very soon and will obviously seal around the bottom of the panel, should I also seal at the top of the panel where there is a small gap? And should I try removing the panel and get the fitter to go underneath with the vinyl? Vinyl is 3mm thick but the panel is quite close to the floor.

Just paranoid about water collecting underneath the bath now!

Sponsored Links
The top of the panel normally rises up above the lip of the bath so water shouldn't be able to enter there, if you fit a batten on the floor just behind the bath panel you can get the fitter to fit the vinyl so it rises up a little against the batten. There may already be a batten there that the bottom of the panel screws into.

check ebay for deeper or twin lipped seals.
The ones that come with the screens are usually single edge seals that just about contact the bath when the screen is in position. cheap and nasty most of them, unless you pay through the nose.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the all the advice, the current seal is a twin, but as said there is a slight gap (screen just a touch too high)

At the moment I have pulled the seal down a bit to close the gap but I will try and find a slightly deeper seal

I consider over bath shower screens to be crude in design, it's a market that's crying out for some innovation.

I have a hinged two panel that isn't too bad. The first panel is fixed with silicone and the second has a small stop that is fixed to the bath edge as a secondary seal.

Screenshot_20220420-133445.png

I like a curtain, change it once every few years to keep it looking fresh.

We have an old screen in our new (old) house, it leaks in the corner near the wall as they all do eventually, we can't change it for fear of unearthing some disaster or fixing hell on the wall so it will leak until we eventually upgrade the bathroom.

I consider over bath shower screens to be crude in design, it's a market that's crying out for some innovation.

I have a hinged two panel that isn't too bad. The first panel is fixed with silicone and the second has a small stop that is fixed to the bath edge as a secondary seal.

View attachment 267504

I always advise this sort of screen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back