How would you repair this prior to painting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_0278.JPG
IMG_8691.JPG

Sponsored Links
Difficult to say as the photo's are hard to read
Looks like either the brown stuff is unresolved backing from paper or a bad plaster job

Has an adhesive border been stripped from the area, because it looks like the walls have been painted two colours with a pencil line used as a guide for something? The peeling paint is typical of this situation. If so, the repair should be relatively easy but you will need to explain the cause so we can help.

Thanks guys, I do not know the history of the wall unfortunately. Here is another picture:

IMG_6951.JPG

It does appear that there was an adhesive border at some stage.

The brown appears to be a satin paint.

Sponsored Links
Ugh, I was hoping it was localised to the border area, which would have been a simpler fix. It appears a mist coat hasn't been properly applied, if at all. That said, you still have a few options.

Whatever you do, you will need to scrape away as much of the flaky paint as necessary, until you get to a stable surface.

You can then either:

• Mist coat the bare plaster areas, allow to dry, and then do your best to fill and sand the hard edges to feather them in and make them less noticeable before you start painting. This is the traditional method, but quite labour intensive. You also still have the possibility of some of those edges coming loose when paint is applied. (Cheapest.)
  • Apply a coat of something like Zinsser Peel Stop or Gardz to help stabilise the surface and bind down those loose paint edges (Do not use PVA). You will then still need to fill and sand but the surface should be more stable to accept paint. (Easiest.)
  • You can do either of those, being a little less fussy with the filling while still getting it smooth and even, but instead of painting the wall you can then apply a good quality medium-heavy lining paper. This will give you an excellent surface without the worry of flaking edges. Obviously, you will still need to paint it. (My preference.)
  • You could bite the bullet and get the wall(s) skimmed by a plasterer. Again, this should give a perfect surface but will cost a lot more and you still need to mist coat and paint. (Most expensive, but total problem solver.)

misterhelpful That’s absolutely brilliant many thanks for help and options. I’ll take another look today and figure out what route to take. Many thanks

I was probably nuts but had a month off work anyway....

My walls were wallpapered and after removal I found that emulsion had been applied badly and I had to remove it with a window scraper. I was careful and it worked quite well if I didn't rush it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back