How2 Measure for Windows with pebble dash

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am in the process of getting quotes for windows.

I have a semi with pebble dashing. Now from previous experience. Windows have been measured from outside.

One guy come last week. He measured the entire width of window from INSIDE. He never took into consideration the bricks on the outside do not sit in line with the inside. Surely the windows would not OPEN if the windows were made using measurements from inside?

What is the correct way of measuring up please?

Also, when replacing the front or back door which is currently wooden one with wooden door casing and architraves. Do all these come out for a replacement upvc or composite door? Reason I am asking is the plaster around the door will get damaged?

How to measure for a door?

thanks in advance. Sorry if I've gone on a bit

Sponsored Links
The window frame will be the same size inside as out, if conventional frames - so as long as he can see the raw timber edge from inside that should be ok. The pebble dashing / render may well have to come off for installation though!
As for the door, the casings come out too - back to the brickwork. There's always some making good to do, but cover strips can hide a multitude of sins!
John :)

Well because he's only round to give you a quote he feels he can get a 'close enough' size for a quote measuring the internal reveals instead of chopping 4 chunks of your pebbledash off to get his size. Maybe when he gets the job he'll come back and get accurate sizes???

Sponsored Links
no point getting the ladders out for a price, hell be able to roughly price the frames then send a surveyor or fitter if he gets the job. the pebble dash will get damaged when they are fitted, but they should put right

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back