Hozelock fitting on external tap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I use a hose on my outside tap quite a bit – at least I try to. The hose has one of those infuriating fixings with the Jubilee Clip which, no matter how much you tighten it, falls off the moment you turn the water on.

I’ve taken the part of the tap off which the rubber bit from the hose pushes onto, and attach a pic. What I was wondering was, is there a fitting I could replace this with which would let me put one of the snap-on kind of fixings on the end of the hose?

Went to B&Q, and they had some, but they all had a different kind of fixing with a larger rubber washer. Can you get one which would fit my kind of tap, or do I need to get a different tap. Or… just give up as usual?

Thanks

View media item 75646

Sponsored Links
You really have to wonder about B&Q sometimes!

This is all you need http://www.podington.co.uk/hozelock-threaded-tap-connector-fitting.html Go to a garden centre.

Thanks – and my enormous Maine Coon would certainly agree that cats rule.

But… the ones I’ve looked at like those have a different size rubber O-ring inside. If you look at my picture, the bit with the rubber seal pushes up into the tap, then the ring tightens it.

The kind you’re indicating seem to seal to a different kind of tap?

A 'proper' outside tap (Screwfix 37241) has the threaded outlet end you need - this can be replaced with the fitting mentioned above as the threads are the same.
It seems like your tap is the traditional type with the smooth spout - in which case your push on fitting will always spray water or pop off.
The tap screwed ends - which go into a wall plate - do match up so maybe you can replace yours with an outside bib cock.
Can you post a pic of what you have?
John :)

Sponsored Links
A 'proper' outside tap (Screwfix 37241) has the threaded outlet end you need - this can be replaced with the fitting mentioned above as the threads are the same.
It seems like your tap is the traditional type with the smooth spout - in which case your push on fitting will always spray water or pop off.
The tap screwed ends - which go into a wall plate - do match up so maybe you can replace yours with an outside bib cock.
Can you post a pic of what you have?

Thanks, I’ll try and take a picture of the tap tomorrow. But of the two brass pieces in the pic, the bit on the left pushes up into the main body of the tap, rubber ring end first; then the knurled ring goes over it and onto threads on the tap body, to pull the first bit up into the tap.

The tapered “rings” on the spout are supposed to let the push-on bit grip, but they don’t hold it.

Aha thats a bit clearer.....the serrated tap end is to hold a hose pipe only, not a clamped fitting! The hose would be clamped in place using a jubilee clip and left there. Its handy to heat the hose end up in hot water before pushing it on.
You can of course put a short length of pipe onto your tap the way I've said, and on the end of that fix any Hozelock connectors of your choice.

Aha thats a bit clearer.....the serrated tap end is to hold a hose pipe only, not a clamped fitting! The hose would be clamped in place using a jubilee clip and left there. Its handy to heat the hose end up in hot water before pushing it on.
You can of course put a short length of pipe onto your tap the way I've said, and on the end of that fix any Hozelock connectors of your choice.

:eek: :eek: :eek: Have I really been that dense??? Is that serrated stub for a piece of HOSE to clamp onto???

Shurely shome mishtake Ossifer!

Oh, the shame…

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back