Outside Tap - Getting a good seal on 3/4" outlet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have been having problems with my outside tap and hose connection since moving here 6 years ago!

Basically the outlet of the tap is 3/4" - what I want to have is an adaptor to screw onto the 3/4" thread that will allow a quickfit hose to connect. This way if I need to use the tap to fill a bucket or watering can - the hose can disconnect. Whenever I have tried these they always weep on the 3/4" thread - I have also tried adaptors that are rubber and use compression to fit but have the same problem after a while. I had thought this problem might be because I have used cheap poundland adaptors in the past.

Today I have bought a Hozelock adaptor in metal and still have the leak at the top of the adaptor. The tap comes with an adaptor that provide a 1/2" stub to slide the hose on, but this means its difficult to remove the hose from the tap.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

Sponsored Links
I have used many different types at customers houses and have only had 1 or 2 that one of my hozelock adapters doesn't fit.

I have about 5 different sized screw on adaptors in plastic.

The brass ones are good for durability but don't seal as well in my opinion.

are you sure its not water ****ing out of the gland nut/spindle of the tap

Sponsored Links
If the old tap is screwed into a wall plate elbow, a bibcock replacement (Screwfix 11558) will be watertight.
The Hozelock stuff has the same thread as the brass spout.
John :)

I have a short piece of hose on my tap, with a "hoselock" connector. If I want to just use the tap I remove the hose at the hoselock connector, not at the tap. This reduces the number of times that the tap itself is tampered with, so once I manage to get a watertight connection I can leave it alone.

I use a brass screw connection to the tap, with PTFE tape.

Some of my tap connections are using a Geka adapter (screw thread onto tap, Geka at the other end), but if you really want Hoselock push-fit connectors that's probably no help. IMO the the Geka connectors are much more robust than the push-fit Hoselock style ones.

Geka tap adapter (you need female instead of this male :) ):
gekam150.jpg

Geka hose adapter (needs jubilee clip to secure it to the hose):
gkhe150.jpg

I have been pleased with the service I have had from City Irrigation

I always get that problem with those connectors. I just use an extra washer in it. always works.

Is it this sort of thing you are putting on?
hozelock-hose-threaded-tap.jpg

If so there should be a rubber washer in it which if tightened correctly (hand tight) shouldn't leak. If all these different ones leak, then either they are all faulty (unlikely) or the tap is leaking from elsewhere.
Other solution would be to add another rubber washer and/or lots of ptfe tape or silicone on the thread.

The tap comes with an adaptor that provide a 1/2" stub to slide the hose on, but this means its difficult to remove the hose from the tap.
This makes no sense, the 1/2" adapter is for tap thread, how did you get it onto a 3/4" tap?
are you setting it up like this?
outside-tap.jpg

just use 2 washers inside the adaptor, the standard hozelock ones aren't thick enough.

I've never had an issue myself even with cheap ones or hozelock ones but like Srodders said, put 2 rubber washers in and it shouldn't leak

Sorry to hijack this thread but how hard is it to add an outside tap?

At the moment our outside tap comes out of the bathroom which is at the front of the house (it's a bungalow) but its also now under a soil pipe. Anyway the perfect place for a tap would be outside the kitchen which is at the rear of the house. Is this a DIY job or do I need to get a professional in?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back