Which adaptor needed for connecting countertop dishwasher hose to tap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to work out what I need to buy to connect a countertop dishwasher hose to the kitchen tap.

I am learning about this stuff from scratch, so sorry if my terminology is wrong. The hose has a 3/4" female thread. My tap has a female thread too. So I figure I need a male-male adaptor.

Attached photos of the aerator that came out of the tap that will be replaced with an adaptor. The male thread on the aerator looks to be about 15mm. It was a bit loose though and came out without any screwing motion.

Screenshot_20231005_171259_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231005_171335_Gallery.jpg

So I think I need a male 15 or 16mm on one end of the adapter to attach to the tap, and a male 3/4" on the other end to attach to the hose? Is this correct? Do I also need to take into account how close the threads are together? This has been hard to find. Can I just buy a compression adaptor made for copper pipes and remove the nut? Maybe add a rubber washer to the 15mm side? I thought this adaptor would be easier to find than having to makeshift put together my own!

Also attached a photo of the diverter the dishwasher company recommends (to still be able to use the tap) but I haven't managed to find one with the correct sized threads for my tap and the hose. I've mostly given up on that and am now resigned to getting an adaptor as above and just screwing it on whenever I use the dishwasher, but the thing in the below image would be the ideal option. The issue has been finding one with two male threads of the right size.

Screenshot_20231005_175905_F-Stop.jpg

Sponsored Links
If i.was.usually installing a dishwasher id use one of these valves... Which.fits a 3/4 hose... You haven't mention.what tap you have however the manufacture will tell you what thread the tap.thread is...its not a critism more of a question but why not fit it direct to your supply. The valve which I posted would be 15mmx3/4
th.jpeg

Last edited:
You would rarely ever connect a countertop dishwasher directly to the tap spout. Gone are the days where the twin tub had a big rubber hose that popped over the bib taps to fill the tub.

As suggested you would look to take the hose down under the sink and have a valve as shown to connect it to.

Mad I was thinking the same as you from the 80’s for a make do shower !

I just can’t help but feel anything tan connecting it to the main supply would be a bodge, I don’t think I would actually fit it to a tap for any of my customers

Sponsored Links
Yup, used to use one of these to fill a twin tub, add hot then cold to the desired temp, hose would just pop over the old bib taps

1696681284303.png

You'll be talking about one of these?

1696681363481.png

I would agree, would never have that kind of diverter fitted to the spout of a tap, that's just a problem waiting to happen IMO.

Sorry, I might not have been super clear. These mini dishwashers are designed for small flats that can't fit a full one and/or can't get it properly plumbed in. I'm renting so I can't drill any holes in the counter to fit it to the main supply. They're designed to be attached to a kitchen tap faucet, but people have often said they've needed an adaptor to fit their tap, and then it works perfectly. They come with these screw on 3/4" hoses:

Screenshot_20231007_134021_Chrome.jpg

My tap has an internal thread too though, so this can't screw onto my tap. When I remove the aerator from the tap, it's thread measures about 15mm. Since the aerator came out of the tap and that's where the adaptor would screw into, I am taking this as my tap thread's measurement:

Screenshot_20231005_171259_Gallery.jpg

So I am looking for a product to attach the internal thread of my tap to the hose. Both have internal (female?) connections, so I need a male-male thread adaptor. Basically, I need to turn my tap's thread from internal to external, and make it bigger. I need something like this I assume:

Screenshot_20231007_134918_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I was just wondering if someone knew if you could easily find 15mm to 3/4" ones and if my thinking was correct with the sizes.

And I was also wondering if something like this existed in the sizes I need:

Screenshot_20231007_135111_Amazon Shopping.jpg

This would be more beneficial, allowing me to not have to unscrew it every time I needed to use the cold tap, as it can divert two ways.

Hope that clears up any confusion!

Not wishing to contradict you but they're not designed to attach to a sink tap, that hose is designed to be connected to an appliance valve that is attached to the cold mains pipework under the sink, same as a washing machine or normal dishwasher.

Do you have one of those valves under the sink? If so then all you need to do is run the fill hose into the cupboard through the door and connect it up

1696687973782.png

If you want to use the outlet you have shown then you can get a 1/2" to 3/4" adapter quite easily for the hose. There will be cheaper ones I'm sure

Not wishing to contradict you but they're not designed to attach to a sink tap, that hose is designed to be connected to an appliance valve that is attached to the cold mains pipework under the sink, same as a washing machine or normal dishwasher.

Do you have one of those valves under the sink? If so then all you need to do is run the fill hose into the cupboard through the door and connect it up

View attachment 316209

If you want to use the outlet you have shown then you can get a 1/2" to 3/4" adapter quite easily for the hose. There will be cheaper ones I'm sure

Thanks! Hmm okay, it is strange that they market them as they can be connected to a tap (it's often their main point of marketing) but I understand that it isn't designed for that.

Screenshot_20231007_212902_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Under the sink is spaghetti but I can't see a cold water valve. I think the red one is hot water, and the cold water valve looks to be taken up by the washing machine:
20231007_211610.jpg

20231007_211538.jpg
20231007_211550.jpg

If under sink isn't possible then I'd still like to try the tap given the reviews I've read, but the item you linked to on Amazon has a female connector where I need two male connectors as my tap has an internal thread. Also, you say 1/2" for the tap thread, does 15-16mm equate to 1/2" in these types of measurements? Could never get my head around this part..

20231007_212319.jpg

Screenshot_20231007_134021_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Morning Bright eyes,

Hope you are well this fine morning … I hope I can bring some clarity to your last message :)

Many things that are on the market work however it’s a diy temporary fix:). Some examples of this would be the outdoor tap kits that have a little bit of hose pipe in the kit , plastic hooks with an adhesive pad on the pad etc etc

The issues I see with your tap approach is that you will need to i screw it every time you want to use the tap which will eventually ruin the thread, also taps are design to get a certain amount of
Water you need then turned off if it’s on constantly for long periods of time like a hour /2hours etc you will get a lot of
Scale build Up Very quickly.

Thanks pics I’ve had a look … it’s not too much of a mess but those push joints need sorting …I’ve labelled what I believe is hit and cold… if I’ve labelled your taps the right way round then it would be easy to do
Just cut a bit of the copper pipe and insert a valve .

Pipes leading to appliances are 3/4 each end so the valve what you need would be 15x15x 3/4. It looks like you already have an appliance fitted above where the valve should go… washing machine?

What you do Need to think About is drainage for for the appliance you can get double appliance traps if you chose this route.

Double check your instructions as it should state the water feed usually they are cold feed however I have come
Across hot feed to the appliance

Hope this helps?
Jake x

Attachments

• IMG_5354.jpeg
    IMG_5354.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5353.jpeg
    IMG_5353.jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5355.jpeg
    IMG_5355.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 30
Totally understand why you might think that the tap is the best approach given the literature. Only thing I would point out about that is, given the language, it's doesn't seem designed for the UK market.

1 - Drain hose included with a 3/4" male connector - not typically used in the UK - should just be an open ended rubber hose that can be pushed over a sink trap spigot
2 - Pic of fill hose with the tap but drain hose in words around it again
3 - Purchase a faucet diverter valve - American Description

What make and model is this machine?

the item you linked to on Amazon has a female connector

The 1/2" female to 3/4" male connector I linked to would fit onto the right hand male connector of the diverter valve your pic showed and then the 3/4" fill hose would screw onto that.

For drainage, the drain hose can just be zip tied to the tap and the machine can drain straight into the sink

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back