HR Flex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, just a quick question.

I’m wiring up some down lights in the bedroom, and have ran T+E to a junction box for every down light. The down lights are prewired to a connector block with some sort of heat resistant wire. Is it ok to use standard 2core flex from this to the junction box? The connector block is held away from the actual lamp by a metal bar that attaches to the base...

Cheers
-Adam

Sponsored Links
Read the instructions with the light.

Many are designed to allow loop in and out of standard T+E cable, others require the use of heat resist PVC flex. Just do as the instructions tell you.

If using joint boxes, make sure they incorporate a cord clamp.

I have read the instructions, and it only shows wiring one of the down lights, not several. It does not say anything about T+E, flex or the like.

These are halolite GU10 mains voltage down lights btw.

EDIT:

Instructions say: connect the mains supply cable(s) to the terminal block.
which would be the T+E cables.

In another part of the instructions it says:
Ensure that ALL electrical connections are tight with no loose strands
which would mean flex?

This is the down light junction box:

I was going to wire each with a flex from a JB:

Cheers
-Adam

The joint box you are using is not acceptable, it should be one with cord clamps such as the Ashley 501. The type you have was commonly used previous to the new regs.

The light fittings you show are commonly looped in and out with T+E, aslong as the T+E is kept clear of the fittings. I would still prefer to see HR flex, but where cost is an issue T+E is fine.

Sponsored Links
An alternative is to use connector strip:
TLCON15.JPG

and a chocbox:
CHOCBOXA.JPG

Use 15A connectors as it will be much easier to get the wires in.

Ok great, so if I change my junction boxes to either a choc box with a cable clamp, or a junction box with a flex cable clamp, is it ok to use normal 2 core flex from this to the down light connection box?

Cheers
-Adam

If using a maintenance free junction box it will be hard to get flex in holes without tinning our using a ferrule so using flex may not be a good idea for logistics but nothing wrong as far as regs.

Hi ericmark, not looking to use maintenance free junction boxes as I will have access to them through the down light hole. Is it ok to use a chocbox which has a cable clamp for each down light, T+E in and out, and a 2 core flex from each one to the lamp?

Cheers
-Adam

Please make sure that you properly connect through the earth conductor of your T&E. It should be earthed at the supply end and this earth should be carried thru to the last fitting.

This conductor is called a circuit protective conductor (cpc).

Hi taylor, the CPC is connected from the supply through to every junction box. The only place the earth doesn’t run is from the junction box to the double insulated down light(s). Could you confirm if using normal 2core flex from JB/chocbox to down light is acceptable?

Cheers
-Adam

A 501 is JB with terminals and cord clamp especially designed for downlights.

Don’t really fancy spending £30 on junction boxes Lectrician! I would much rather use choc bar in a choc block if it is acceptable to have standard 2 core flex from them running to the down light.

Cheers
-Adam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back