Hubble Deep Space Photograph.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Because the objects aren't "travelling" through space - time ; they're travelling with space - time?
This.

After the big bang stuff shot off in all directions. The distant things we see are heading in more or less the opposite direction from us. That's obvious enough.

The bit I struggle with, is that the universe is expanding. So while something may have traveled a few billion light years it might be even more than that away.

Add in the fact that the light we see was emitted billions of years ago and the objects are still moving away at a decent fraction of light speed and you get to the insane distances like 30 Billion light years.

But it all hinges on Einsteins theory of relativity, which makes everything a bit harder to imagine.

Because you / we / they are photographing the light that left the star / galaxy 6 billion years ago.

Thanks Brig. You have confirmed what my wife and I were talking about this morning. We also discussed the fact that, if that picture is 6 billion years old, then the galaxy may not be there now, (for one reason or another), but we won't, if ever, see what happened to cause it to disappear.

the bit I struggle with is the way they mapped & recorded star movement so accurately 500 years ago. Newton's work is incredible. Especially in a time when sailors were watching out for the edge of the world! Although, there's still a few flat earther's around today!!

Newton's work is incredible.

Indeed, he created the laws of optics, he created the 3 laws of motion, and he created his law of gravitation.

When presented with a maths problem, that the formula of the day could not solve, he invented calculus to solve it.............:cool::cool:

All of this in the 15th/16th Century, before he was 26 years old.......:eek::eek:

Sponsored Links
Back