Hubble Deep Space Photograph.

D

durhamplumber

upload_2020-11-15_14-26-21.png

200 Billion Galaxys in the known Universe.Awe Inspiring.6 billion light years!!...1 light year being 186000*60*60*24*365.miles.(5.88 trillion miles)...As you gaze up into the stars,,nearest star,,,light has been travelling 4 years to hit your retina,,some of the light has taken thousands of years to hit your eye,,just from our GALAXY..

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
What I once read and find amazing is that you can sometimes see light from stars that no longer exist as they have burnt out long before their light reaches us.

Sponsored Links
We're not alone, that's for sure.
Plenty of khants around here.
Thinking we're alone is plain stupid...

View attachment 211517
200 Billion Galaxys in the known Universe.Awe Inspiring.6 billion light years!!...1 light year being 186000*60*60*24*365.miles.(5.88 trillion miles)...As you gaze up into the stars,,nearest star,,,light has been travelling 4 years to hit your retina,,some of the light has taken thousands of years to hit your eye,,just from our GALAXY..

Yep, the universe is rather big, and we are exceptionally insignificant. Or, as the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy put it, mostly harmless.

What I once read and find amazing is that you can sometimes see light from stars that no longer exist as they have burnt out long before their light reaches us.
Once you have your head around Motties statement then the following starts to make theoretic sense....

If you could somehow sit on the end of a beam of light and travel at light speed along with it, time would (for the beam traveller) stand still. A similar theoretical argument states that if you could travel faster than that beam of light then you would go backwards in time.

Matter will never be able to do any of the above.

Last edited:
And people still think we're alone.
We as the human race are but a tiny bit of time into the evolution of the universe...

So given that other worlds may be billions of years ahead, we still have no proof that we have been 'visited'...

Now as humans we are inherently inquisitive, and could we ever find another planet with life upon it (and get there) we'd probably say 'hi we come in peace', but with exploitation in mind!

So my personal theory is that faster than light travel is either impossible, or before that technology can be developed all races destroy themselves...

Or we could of course just be living in the Matrix :)

Once you have your head around Motties statement then the following starts to make theoretic sense....

If you could somehow sit on the end of a beam of light and travel at light speed along with it, time would (for the beam traveller) stand still. A similar theoretical argument states that if you could travel faster than that beam of light then you would go backwards in time.

Matter will never be able to do any of the above.
This is where I believe the limitations to our experimental existence lie as it just so happens we cannot exceed the speed of light unless we somehow do something with our mass. Tuck it in our shoes or something. Sorta stops us escaping the boundaries.

I think I am fairly intelligent, however, if the fastest thing we know about is the speed of light, at 186,000 earth miles per second, how can we photograph something that is 6 BILLION LIGHT YEARS away over the course of 630 earth hours?

I think I am fairly intelligent, however, if the fastest thing we know about is the speed of light, at 186,000 earth miles per second, how can we photograph something that is 6 BILLION LIGHT YEARS away over the course of 630 earth hours?

Because you / we / they are photographing the light that left the star / galaxy 6 billion years ago.

Yes, The Sun might have exploded.

If we're alright in 8 min. 20 sec. time, you'll know it didn't, but then it might have then.

Sponsored Links
Back