Hubble Deep Space Photograph.

Hard to fathom that the universe is infinitely endless. Something can travel for ever and never hit a brick wall dead end:eek::eek:.

Sponsored Links
Hard to fathom that the universe is infinitely endless. Something can travel for ever and never hit a brick wall dead end:eek::eek:.
Well we possibly could but someone's put a restriction on that to stop us being overly nosey outside our test-tube, or theyre keen to see how long it takes us to find an answer, as the saying goes (something like!) if we can imagine it we normally end up achieving it.

I explain to my grandchildren that a single grain of sand on a beach represents our solar system and the beach, including all the other beaches and sandy deserts is the universe. Mind boggling!!

Sponsored Links
What does the theory suggest is at the end?

Why should there be anything at the end.

It's the same question as to what was there before the moment of the Big Bang.

The boundary is constantly expanding, and at a rate so fast that the light from the boundary will never reach us, thus we can never observe it.

Why should there be anything at the end.

It's the same question as to what was there before the moment of the Big Bang.

The boundary is constantly expanding, and at a rate so fast that the light from the boundary will never reach us, thus we can never observe it.

But if a theory suggests the universe is finite, then it must also state that there is some sort of end. Otherwise it would be infinite.
Or does their theory also go on to say that if infinity cannot be proven, then it must be finite.

That is not correct.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2020/01/21/how-far-is-it-to-the-edge-of-the-universe/

This is a quote from the above link......

"Beyond a certain distance, we can see some of the light that was already emitted long ago, but will never see the light that is being emitted right now: 13.8 billion years after the Big Bang. Beyond a certain specific distance — calculated (by me) to be approximately 18 billion light-years away at present — even a signal moving at the speed of light will never reach us."

This is accepted present day knowledge.

Ok. I will say I thought you meant the objects at 13.8 billion light years.

Has anyone satisfactorily explained how - given that nothing can travel anywhere near the speed of light - objects at a distance of 13.8 billion light years have had time to get there?

But if a theory suggests the universe is finite, then it must also state that there is some sort of end. Otherwise it would be infinite.
Or does their theory also go on to say that if infinity cannot be proven, then it must be finite.

It's finite, and the boundary is ever expanding, from the the moment of creation (The Big Bang)

As to what is beyond the boundary is not a question that can be answered, as neither can, "what was there before the Big Bang"

Ok. I will say I thought you meant the objects at 13.8 billion light years.

Has anyone satisfactorily explained how - given that nothing can travel anywhere near the speed of light - objects at a distance of 13.8 billion light years have had time to get there?

This is as good an explanation as I have seen,

I am no Astrophysicist, my knowledge comes from books by Einstein/Hawking/de grasse tyson.
To me it's totally fascinating, I can particularly recommend books by Stephen Hawking, for the layman.

Maybe the universe is doughnut shaped.

You may be correct......

91345a260c8a3b4a3bc19c8995baa139.png

Because the objects aren't "travelling" through space - time ; they're travelling with space - time?

Sponsored Links
Back