Huge hole in brickwork - how to fill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We recently removed a broken power shower, and discovered behind it a massive hole in the brickwork.

It's around 2ft x 1ft and about 20cm deep, I'm hoping for advice on how to fill it in / cover it up to fit a new shower.

We've thought about putting wooden boards up and tiling over them to match the rest of the bathroom, but that seems like a bit of a shoddy way to do it.

We also thought about using expanding foam and then boarding it up, but my partner is worried about the foam being flammable.

Is there any way to fill a hole of this size simply/effectively for someone with little DIY experience or is it a job for a professional?

Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
One way is to get hold of a thermalite building block (light weight, soft and made from compressed ash) and roughly cut it to size with a hacksaw or similar, then fix it into the hole with some sand and cement mix (available from diy sheds as a ready mixed powder).
It's best to keep the block nicely wet as it will absorb lots of moisture.
Once set, some plaster in a tub can be used to coat over the top.
John :)

Agree with John , though use a jack saw for cutting thermalite blocks.

Sponsored Links
Thank you so much for the replies, I didn't even know Thermalite blocks existed.

Really appreciate the advice - thanks! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back