Humidistat Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people,

I have couple of questions which i would be grateful for if you guys can help.

Firstly my bathroom has heavy condensation and most of the ceiling has gone black as there is poor ventilation. I was told to install a Humidistat fan to solve the problem. Are these Humidistat fans any good, what temperature do i need to set it toin a kind of large bathroom.
Or shall I just buy the timer fans (a lo cheaper).

Secondly is it wise to tile over a wall that is not solid but seems to have mould rising , possibly rising damp. Will the tiles come off, even if I seal the wall.

Many thanks in advance.

SHAD

Sponsored Links
shadath said:
Are these Humidistat fans any good, what temperature do i need to set it toin a kind of large bathroom.
Or shall I just buy the timer fans (a lo cheaper).
Basically the difference is that one is on manual and the other one is on auto.
I would go for humidistat type because you may not be around to turn it on when needed which will do it for you on auto. As for temperature setting will be down to experience.

i very much doubt its rising damp (that will open a dearth of comments no doubt) if you are suffering from condensation problems then you will suffer a large amount of ever growing mould. Best way to kill it is with neat bleach. Once thats been done then tile away.

Thanks to the both of you. I think in respects of the fan I will go for the Humidistat and ask someone what temperature I should set it at.

And as for the moulding and condensation that Thermo has replied to, I think I will take your advice.

Thanks and Happy new year to everyone

SHAD

Sponsored Links
Hi there

I’m thinking of buying a wall mounted humidistat but most only go down to 60% relative humidity…most builders have suggested that a room should be around 55% to avoid damp and mould

What did you end up turning the humidistat down to?

Usually better to start a new thread, but 60 to 65% setting will do all you need - a little higher than normal house humidity, otherwise it will run continuously trying to extract humidity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back