humidistat fan

Sponsored Links
@ban-all-sheds do you have a part in mind? I'm assuming fan is expecting a 240 V trigger, and imagining a thermocouple or thermistor stuck to the pipe. Unless it's a solved problem...

Sponsored Links
A temperature sensor on a hot pipe will.
True, it could do the job - but I wouldn't personally count a temperature sensor as "anything similar" to a flow sensor!

TTC had suggested that simple 'clip on' flow sensors for copper pipes existed, and I was saying that I found it hard to see how they could.

Kind Regards, John

Edit... Thinks.. Or just a simple bimetallic stat?
A pipe or cylinder stat could probably do it - IF you could find one which had contacts which closed with rising temperature (as well as the 'normal' one which opened with rising temp).

Kind Regards, John

A pipe or cylinder stat could probably do it - IF you could find one which had contacts which closed with rising temperature (as well as the 'normal' one which opened with rising temp).

Kind Regards, John

They are normally SPDT.

TTC had suggested that simple 'clip on' flow sensors for copper pipes existed, and I was saying that I found it hard to see how they could.
Ultrasonic sensors exist, but for more £££s than the reed switch type.

Past the limits of my knowledge there! Some only appear to work by using bubbles or filth in the water. Not my idea of a nice shower.

Past the limits of my knowledge there! Some only appear to work by using bubbles or filth in the water. Not my idea of a nice shower.
Beyond the limits of my knowledge, too, but that's what I was thinking. The ultrasound is not going to work on molecules, so needs something (like muck or bubbles) to look at. It's also got to get through a copper pipe.

Kind Regards, John

True, it could do the job - but I wouldn't personally count a temperature sensor as "anything similar" to a flow sensor!
Maybe not.

But I personally would when the functional requirement is to detect the flow of water in a pipe in the context (which this is) of triggering a fan when a shower is used. If there is a hot water pipe to a mixer shower then a temperature sensor will detect when hot water starts to flow in the pipe. Seems pretty damn similar from a functional POV to me.

I actually was asking if a clip on type did exist. And asked for advice from others. I actually said:
I believe there are others that just clip on to a pipe. But that’s plumbing and something I try and avoid. Others on here may be able to advise you better on that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back