Humming Veritas R8 control panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a Veritas R8 control panel, fed from the downstairs lighting circuit via a fused spur. There has always been a very slight hum from the control panel, but recently it appears to have got louder. Sometimes, a light tap on the control panel will stop the sound, but it then returns. What is this humming?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi

I have a Veritas R8 control panel, fed from the downstairs lighting circuit via a fused spur. There has always been a very slight hum from the control panel, but recently it appears to have got louder. Sometimes, a light tap on the control panel will stop the sound, but it then returns. What is this humming?

Thanks
Usual culprit is the transformer.
May have underlying issues regarding loading but can often be as simple as tweaking the mounting of the unit.

The veritas was/is known for this.

A tweak of the screws on the transformer usually does the trick.

If you need to replace the transformer, a new panel is the best bet.

A transformer will rattle more on a stud wall.

Loading could be an issue, but you usually would eventually blow the fuse too.

Try wedging a bit of card in an appropriate spot at the back wall.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all.

Where abouts is the transformer in the panel? Guess it's just a case of following the feed into the panel.

Thank again, will check all screws are tight.

Try wedging a bit of card in an appropriate spot at the back wall.

NO!

Fire risk!

Especially if up against the tranny.

The tranny is lower left, but it is obvious with the cover removed.

Don't be silly. I mean wedge BEHIND the panel to stop the vibration. I guess you aren't experienced in alarms?

It's not usually a hum caused by the case against the wall, more so the transformer vibrating against the case, which is amplified on stud walls.

I competent alarm installer would never wedge card in to solve any problems :rolleyes:

No it's not it's the case that vibrates, even when you tighten the transformer screws it usually continues - until you wedge something behind it. If the wall is uneven then wedging something behind will stop it. What do you suggest that a DIYer do?

It's not usually a hum caused by the case against the wall, more so the transformer vibrating against the case, which is amplified on stud walls.

I competent alarm installer would never wedge card in to solve any problems :rolleyes:

QFA

What do you suggest that a DIYer do?

Something safe.

I have seen several R8's with this issue, and each time I have managed to sort it without resorting to card board.

Tightening, or even loosening the transformer screws.
Ensuring the case is secured to the wall well.
Changing the tranny.
Changing the CCU.

Card board, weather DIY fitted or by an engineer is not the correct thing to be doing IMO.

Well what should he do then? I've fitted hundreds but never changed a transformer - what goes wrong with yours? It's a simple case of wedging something behind the case to stop it vibrating - job done. 2 minutes and no charge. What do you suggest he do?

I did but it tells a DIYer to start undoing the panel etc. It only needs wedging. Maybe he should call someone in? :rolleyes:

I did but it tells a DIYer to start undoing the panel etc. It only needs wedging. Maybe he should call someone in? :rolleyes:

What, to stick a bit of card board in?

You must admit, it aint a great way to go either way.

I initially said no as thought you meant against the tranny, but I still see packing out the case as a bit of a bodge TBH.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back