HWC conundrum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can`t seem to get any hot water out of my taps despite the boiler working fine, the pump is fine and the pipe going via the motorised valve into the cylinder is hot. Therefore surely I should be getting hot water out - providing there`s no huge leak out the cylinder. Any suggestions very much appreciated.

Frank

Sponsored Links
I assume you meant he water is running out of the taps but is cold.

Is it a 2 port or 3 port valve you have?

The pipe from the valve to the cylinder could be warm through residual heat and the valve is shut.

Does the return from the bottom of the cylinder get hot? If not you have no circulation.

the hot feed comes up from the boiler to the valve. The valve then diverts it either down below the floor (to the radiators?) or up and into the cylinder about half way up its side. The underneath of the cylinder itself is cold, yet the pipe feeding into it is hot, proper hot not residual. Blockage?

Thanks, Frank

You have a 3 port valve then. Try taking the head off and turning the sindle manually.

If this doesn't work then it could be a blockage in the return.

The underneath of the cylinder will always be cold as this is where the cold water enters at the bottom.

Sponsored Links
If its getting hot at the inlet to the heating coil then the problem would seem to be a blockage in the pipework.

Usual treatment is to remove part of the pipework to inspect and then decide how best to treat the problem.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back