Hybid (not)

One of the things that might hasten the demise of the ICE vehicles, will be the gradual shrinkage of the fuelling opportunities, and corresponding increase in price. Just as, at the dawn of motoring, a motorist would have to purchase "motor spirit" from his local chemist, I imagine forecourts will be increasingly turned over to fast chargers and fewer petrol pumps will be available. All gradual, of course. I still expect there to be a fair number of ICE vehicles around when I'm dead...

Sponsored Links
No, the electric and petrol drives are integrated together, you can't just remove one and continue using the other one.
No doubt if someone had enough time and money it could be done, but it would be totally rebuilding the car, not just a case of removing components.
Surely it must be possible to remove the batteries, being the heaviest components?
Not sure how you would dispose of them though, you don't read much (if anything) regarding this subject :unsure:

Surely it must be possible to remove the batteries, being the heaviest components?
Not sure how you would dispose of them though, you don't read much (if anything) regarding this subject :unsure:
The batteries will be subject to the same regulations as any other end-of-life batteries, so if you did take the battery pack out, you ought to find the crossed-out wheelie bin symbol on them! You'd have to talk to your local council tip about disposal (that should be an interesting conversation)! You might be better off taking them to a vehicle breaker. They will already be under an obligation to remove batteries, so they'll probably be

As others have said though, the electric drive system is so deeply integrated into the engine management system, that I think you'd have an uphill struggle getting the car to run and not keep throwing up fault codes thereafter!

The batteries will be subject to the same regulations as any other end-of-life batteries, so if you did take the battery pack out, you ought to find the crossed-out wheelie bin symbol on them! You'd have to talk to your local council tip about disposal (that should be an interesting conversation)! You might be better off taking them to a vehicle breaker. They will already be under an obligation to remove batteries, so they'll probably be

As others have said though, the electric drive system is so deeply integrated into the engine management system, that I think you'd have an uphill struggle getting the car to run and not keep throwing up fault codes thereafter!
Far too much of a faff then!
Think I'll be sticking to my classics .. might send one of them to auction in the Spring & buy a city car for all the short journeys 'er-indoors does.
Thanks for your reply.

Sponsored Links
Yes, possible, but I think impractical, somewhat dangerous, (and very noisy)! My car is currently doing about 3 miles to the kWh. So if I had a 1 kW turbine and I parked for an hour, it would put a grand total of 3 miles "into the tank". You could, of course, also cover the upward-facing surfaces with solar panels and get a tad more.
Lightyear's an interesting solar car project - not without its flaws, but interesting ..https://lightyear.one/

Back