Phev batteries

You honestly think all those Teslas are going to be scrapped in three years? You might want to try calming down perhaps breath into a paper bag?
Did you come around after the shocking news of being on planet earth?
Why would I lose my cool because of tesla being scrapped?
As far as I'm concerned the should be piled up and burned with their owners locked inside.

Sponsored Links
Did you come around after the shocking news of being on planet earth?
Why would I lose my cool because of tesla being scrapped?
As far as I'm concerned the should be piled up and burned with their owners locked inside.
That would release a lot of CO2, very inconsiderate of you, plus it's a waste of a good car, there's a waiting list for those you know.

Why ICE there are other methods
220px-Stanley_steam_car.jpg
they have stood the test of time, however today only used to show off driving around a field.

However the big problem with most vehicles is weight. Morris Minor 1,708 lb (775 kg) the old Vauxhall Agila i.e. very small car was 2,326 lb (1055 kg) which is a huge increase in weight. Trying to select similar size and weight cars old and new.

Toyota Yaris 1,830 lb (830 kg) internet says there are only 7 EV models below 1,500 kg over twice the weight of a Morris Minor.

Both my wife and I ride e-bikes, which I can carry, not far I agree, but there is no need for cars to be so heavy.

they have stood the test of time, however today only used to show off driving around a field.

However the big problem with most vehicles is weight. Morris Minor 1,708 lb (775 kg) the old Vauxhall Agila i.e. very small car was 2,326 lb (1055 kg) which is a huge increase in weight. Trying to select similar size and weight cars old and new.

Toyota Yaris 1,830 lb (830 kg) internet says there are only 7 EV models below 1,500 kg over twice the weight of a Morris Minor.

Both my wife and I ride e-bikes, which I can carry, not far I agree, but there is no need for cars to be so heavy.
Electric bikes?!?!
We're doomed!

Sponsored Links

Crash safety. Those old ones were massively less survivable.

Current EVs mostly aim at the middle to upper budget part of the market, not the ultra cheap ones which are the lightest. EV batteries do add a couple of hundred KG though.

Compare the Renault Zoe and Clio for a worst case comparison.

Last edited:
Current EVs mostly aim at the middle to upper budget part of the market, not the ultra cheap ones which are the lightest. EV batteries do add a couple of hundred KG though.

If the weight of the new battery I've just fitted to our 'daily' is anything to go by I'm not surprised as it was all I could do to lift the damn thing into the car, though I assume EV batteries are not lead-acid otherwise the car would weigh the same as a mobile crane !

If the weight of the new battery I've just fitted to our 'daily' is anything to go by I'm not surprised as it was all I could do to lift the damn thing into the car, though I assume EV batteries are not lead-acid otherwise the car would weigh the same as a mobile crane !
Lead acid are 35-40 Wh/Kg, Lithium ion are 100-265 according to Wikipedia. 2.5 to 7 to times lighter for the same amount of PowerJust for fun I checked the performance of the Morris Minor and there is a comparable EV, weighing on at 700 kg. The Wuling Mini EV.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/features/china-your-hand-wuling-mini-ev-driven

A boating friend bought a Lithium battery, same capacity as his old lead-acid. He picked the box off the shelf and took it to the cash desk, and asked for a real one.

He had assumed (wrongly) it was a lightweight display dummy.

Lead acid are 35-40 Wh/Kg

not sure about that

I just looked mine up, 12v x 100AH = 1200Wh

weight 22.6 kg
which is quite a pig to hoist in and out of the boot

53 Wh/kg

battery is a Varta H3

There was a survey done comparing number accidents to makes of car, corrected for numbers on the road, in the 90's, best for accident avoidance was the Reliant, worst was Volvo.

I see no reason to put barriers around the drivers of lethal machines to stop them killing themselves, but not around cyclists and pedestrians using the same roads, be it a push bike, e-bike or motor bike.

I can see the point of removing the RR badge etc. And making the shape of cars so pedestrians and cyclists are less likely to be crushed, but to make it safer for those in the car at the expense of those outside the car must be fundamentally wrong.

Same goes when fitting armaco barriers, there should always be room for pedestrians and cyclists to pass on the safe side of the barrier not trapped between cars and barriers.

It's changing by the day. Something just popped up on my news that Toyota will be factory refurbishing ex lease EV cars to give them second and even third lives. I believe they're estimating now that a 10 year old battery will still have 90% capacity. I've no axe to grind and currently do the cheapest motoring possible (old diesels) but I think when the kids are gone in the next 5-6 years the maths for an EV will start to add up - especially as we already seem to be barred from most university cities with our "smokers".

Just waiting for the day we can all just get on the motorway, press a button and read a book - so many possibilities, as I was wobbling in and out of some cart ruts on the M6 the other day I pondered that the computer could just move lorries over a bit to even out wear on the carriageway! Sooner crazy humans are removed from the driving equation the better.

On the subject of offering protection to cyclists ... I would be more in favour of the rules to protect vulnerable road users in the new highway code if those effected stopped behaving as though they already own the road & gave more thought to their own self preservation. Riding through red lights, riding on footpaths, emerging from side roads without warning & now, when we trample the morons into the tarmac, it's always going to be our fault :mad:

Sorry, having started this thread I'm now moving off-topic.

Same goes when fitting armaco barriers, there should always be room for pedestrians and cyclists to pass on the safe side of the barrier not trapped between cars and barriers.

I'm not clear on what you mean by that Eric. From what I remember of the barriers, I could just step over them to the safe side.

I'm not clear on what you mean by that Eric. From what I remember of the barriers, I could just step over them to the safe side.
Not all of them. Unfortunately there's plenty of examples of cyclists being crushed against barriers at the side of the road, mostly by HGVs.

Bollards are safest as I understand it. Continuous cheat high barriers are some of the worst.

Sponsored Links
Back