timing belt, what would you do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2008 Seat Leon TDi with approx. 90k miles on it.
I do very little miles these days (WFH) and don't anticipate that to change any time soon.
The car is used on average twice a week for short journeys.
I have no plans to change this car in the next couple of years (due to above) unless it develops a fault that makes no financial sense to rectify.
The car is serviced and mot'd annually and I do the usual basic stuff e.g. regularly check fluids, tyre pressures and the like.

My rationale maintenance wise is this. If the car costs me a few hundred pounds each year to keep on the road (service and anything found during mot) it's still relatively cheap motoring for me vs a monthly payment on a new(er) car.

Here's my slight dilemma. Strictly speaking the timing belt is due to be done this year. In the 4-5 years since it was last done, the car hasn't done many miles, so the belt hasn't been subject to much wear in that sense. However the car is parked outside so is exposed to all the elements 24/7.

Do I get the belt done, or given the age of the car and my plan to change it a couple of years from now, do I save the £££ based on the hope it'll be okay in the interim? At that point I'll probably look to buy a new(er) car, maybe my last combustion engine one before we have no choice but to buy EVs.

Thoughts? What would you do in this scenario?

Sponsored Links
Do the belt change and keep as long as possible. It's always good to know that you have a serviced and reliable car sitting outside.

Andy

If it goes it can be expensive damage wise so if your keeping it then definitely have it done for piece mind, you know this cars history. I know nothing about cars to be honest.

Sponsored Links
What engine is it? Most VW are 60-100k plus and 10 years.
It's an FR TDi, 2l (1.9?) 170PS. According to the service manual (in the car and can't be ar5ed going out to get it :)) it's meant to be done every 4 or 5 years?

It depends what belt kit was used as replacement last time.
Chinese rubbish will probably shred soon.
Proper stuff (continental is my favourite) last a decade / 100k easily.
It also depends if the just changed the belt or (as they should) the tensioners, water pump, etc.
If they did it properly last time and used quality parts, you're good to go for another 5 years.

It depends what belt kit was used as replacement last time.
Chinese rubbish will probably shred soon.
Proper stuff (continental is my favourite) last a decade / 100k easily.
It also depends if the just changed the belt or (as they should) the tensioners, water pump, etc.
If they did it properly last time and used quality parts, you're good to go for another 5 years.
Cheers. According to the invoice they used:

VW timing belt kit, stock code 03G198119B
Aux belt, stock code GAT6PK1053
Water pump, stock code S03L121011PX

That was 09/2018 with the mileage at 76.5k. When it goes in this time (09/2022) I don't reckon the mileage will be much above 92k.

Last edited:
I've changed the belt and water pump on our 2008 TDI Golf with 116,000 miles on it twice during our ownership but it's only cost me for the parts. Our A3 is coming up to 5 years/42,000 miles and according to Audi, it is due to be changed too. Thing is, it's made on the same production line as the LHD models destined for Europe and they have a recommended belt life if 10 years! Apparently it's the importer that says 5 years. Again, as it only costs me for the parts, I suppose I'll do it sooner rather than later but if I was having to pay the prices that some garages want, I would probably leave it another 2 or 3 more years. Unless you have an oil leak onto the belt, it's more common these days for the tensioner /jockey pulley or water pump (if belt driven) to break.

Cheers. According to the invoice they used:

VW timing belt kit, stock code 03G198119B
Aux belt, stock code GAT6PK1053
Water pump, stock code S03L121011PX

That was 09/2018 with the mileage at 76.5k. When it goes in this time (09/2022) I don't reckon the mileage will be much above 92k.
Original parts.
As mottie said, unless there's a leak on the belt, you're good to go for another few years.

I have an Ateca with 29k on the clock, 5 years old in July. Had the belt done last month as I intend to keep the car. Had it since new so I know the history etc and its not worth the risk of the belt going.

And Mr Mayor Khant has just announced that he will expand the ulez next year, impoverishing more and more people already struggling.
I have to scrap 2 perfect older cars which have emissions well below the f#cking euro 6 standard but are too old for Mr Khant.
In the meantime the mother f#cker is chauffeured around in a 5 litre armoured vehicle.
What a f#cking hypocrite!
I hope...
Well, you know what i hope.

Yep. We got rid of our Evoque because my workshop is in the ULEZ. Gonna have to get rid of the Golf if he gets his way.

Yep. We got rid of our Evoque because my workshop is in the ULEZ. Gonna have to get rid of the Golf if he gets his way.
I'm gonna sell my cars for parts.
I can probably get £500 from the passat and £3k from the Audi at best.
But selling parts I can get more than that from the engines alone.
Then every door @ £250+
Plus all electric and wheels and panels, etc.
I'd probably make £10k.

And Mr Mayor Khant has just announced that he will expand the ulez next year, impoverishing more and more people already struggling.
I have to scrap 2 perfect older cars which have emissions well below the f#cking euro 6 standard but are too old for Mr Khant.
In the meantime the mother f#cker is chauffeured around in a 5 litre armoured vehicle.
What a f#cking hypocrite!
I hope...
Well, you know what i hope.
This is the thing, I know I'm stating the obvious but whenever they bring in new legislation/laws that mean financial cost or penalty if you don't comply, these changes don't really affect those who are comfortably off and above. It's the just about managing folk that struggle even more. Luckily I rarely need to go into any low emission zone areas up here so, for now, I'll keep my diesel going.

Original parts.
As mottie said, unless there's a leak on the belt, you're good to go for another few years.
Cheers. I'm not sure how much of the belt I can check visually however will pop out tomorrow for a look.

Sponsored Links
Back