Polo or Megane? Which would you choose?

Well, I have had a Corolla before and found it to be very reliable. Hearing the same about the Almera.
Are you suggesting that the Polo and Megane would be better options? What type of car would you recommend?
Im mainly just supprised there that expensive.

I ran a couple of 306's which where very good cars, relieable, big boot space for the money and cheap on parts. Mine where 1.6 and 1.8l petrols however so might be a bit big, there was/is a 1.4 but its less common/desirable,or the 1,9 diesal, the later hdi still holding the price very well.
Ive not swaped that for a 1995 plate 316 compact, but older, but for £650 you get 32mpg and an electric sunroof!

In the main I would say almost any 10year old car is much of a muchness, try and get a get a feel of how the cars been treated, i wouldnt worry about high millage if the maintaince as been done, but would walk away if it looks like its not seen a garage for the last five years. That said Renault do still manage to maintain some of the 'unreliable and french' vibe so all other being equal and the polo looks right, go for it. Usally hold there value well (too weel, usally) which can be prohibative, unless you get one for the right price, in which case why not. Assuming you going to run it into the ground resale isnt an issue. If your keeping it a year and selling on, its still only a few tanks of fuel becuase at then years old your not talking about £10k worth of car, your in the hundreds.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Thanks Daniel.

The Polo is with a dealer. It is priced way below the average price of a car in it's age. It hasn't been tested and is a year out of test, so either the dealer has had it a while, or spent a long time fixing it up, or perhaps someone had it parked up for a long while before selling to the dealer. Either way, the car is clean inside and out. There is a very slight dent on one side of it, which is hardly noticeable, but I am waiting for the agent who knows it to give me a ring and tell me what, if anything, is needed to pass the test before considering a purchase. Hearing good things (from Burnerman among others :) about the Skodas and I guess that probably means the Seat too. So we'll see. :)

Thanks Daniel.

The Polo is with a dealer. It is priced way below the average price of a car in it's age. It hasn't been tested and is a year out of test, so either the dealer has had it a while, or spent a long time fixing it up, or perhaps someone had it parked up for a long while before selling to the dealer. Either way, the car is clean inside and out. There is a very slight dent on one side of it, which is hardly noticeable, but I am waiting for the agent who knows it to give me a ring and tell me what, if anything, is needed to pass the test before considering a purchase. Hearing good things (from Burnerman among others :) about the Skodas and I guess that probably means the Seat too. So we'll see. :)

I'd go with the Polo. They are built well and if its got a FSH will go on for quite a while yet. Ive always been dubious of "modern" French cars, even ones that have been looked after tend to start falling apart when nearing 100k/10 years!

Thanks Woody. I'm trying to narrow down my search. I've cooled on the idea of the Almera, because while they have the timing chain instead of the belt, some people are wary of them. I've been looking at Mazda, VW, Seat, Skoda and Toyota. But the latter 2 seem out of my price range. I want to get a 1.3 or a 1.4. And I'm looking to go around 10 years old, but I would consider as far back as a '00. Still searching. Wanna make sure timing belts have been done also, which is difficult to prove in many cases.

Sponsored Links
I've been looking at Mazda, VW, Seat, Skoda and Toyota.

Sticking with any of those you shouldnt have too much trouble.

They are all well built and very reliable, especially the japanese ones. Keep looking for one with a FSH and im a big believer in the interior of cars been a good indicator of how people have treat them. Its easy to clean up and "hide" neglected areas under the bonnet but the interiors of cars, once badly treat, stick out like a sore thumb :D

So I'm closing in on 4 cars. The cheapest of the lot is a '00 Volkswagon Polo 1.4 litre saloon. It's from a dealer too. But it's a clearance sale and so hasn't been to the car test yet. Under 100k miles. Finding it difficult to get any helpful info from the dealer only that it's clean inside and out and is a good driver.
2nd cheapest is a '01 Nissan Almera 1.5 Litre Saloon. I have cooled a little on these but they do decent mileage without too much trouble? They do seem to have an issue with stretching timing belts? And Airflow Sensors? This is being sold privately. It is almost due to be tested and has around 100k. The belt was done about 18 months ago.
Third, and priced the same as the Almera is a '01 Skoda Fabia. It's a 1.4 Litre Hatchback. Has 130k on the clock. Has had the belt done, is nearing time for car test. Private sale. Has no fancy electrics or Air con, but is probably a decent and reliable car.
Finally, a 2001 Seat Cordoba Stella 1.4 litre Saloon with 100k on the clock. Has all the electrics and air con. is Due to be tested but is being sold by a dealer.
It's hard to choose which would be best value? You would presume that the dealers are selling cars that are road worthy, but you can't be 100% sure. The private sellers both seem genuine, but again hard to know.

Now I know this is going to be my decision really in the end and that nobody here is going to be able to hold my hand and guide me to the perfect buy!!!! :) But I respect a lot of your opinions and would love to know what you all think and suggest? :) Or Should I just spend a few hundred on my Carina! :)

Very difficult to know and to be honest there's an element of luck involved, so don't stress to much.
For what its worth the less electrics the better as the car gets older and air con in Ireland, always makes me laugh.

Good luck, whatever you decide, shout if you need a dig out ............... the blind leading the blind !!

Thanks Mursal. Something is leaning me towards a Seat Cordoba. They seem the best value, but on the other hand, they have lots of electrics! :unsure: :D

Know nothing about the Córdoba/Ibiza but the Leon is a nice cost effective motor, slightly unresloved handling, but a very nice bit of car.

You just cant get away from all the electrics now, though it should be ok? Letting the Carina go, will be a emotional?

Letting the carina go will be a real sadness. Love the thing. I am not 100% sure what is wrong with it and further inspection was going to cost me money. As you know there's a knocking sound, mainly when bending left at motorway speed. The wheels don't have a large amount of play. The CV boots seem fine, but the CV axles can be lifted a small but up on both sides(which might mean it's normal? But even so, the main reason for selling was to get a smaller engine for tax reasons. So either way, I'd be selling. Wonder what it would get off a trade in? Of course the passenger side wiper link is also gone. But it is NCT's until 04/13. I'm hoping that it will help me get what I need anyway. But perhaps my honesty about the issues will scare off sellers! :)

Anyone know why a mufler on a Seat 1.4 petrol would make noise on startup, even after a new one was fitted? Also would car test fail on this issue(rumble on startup only)?

Would it be difficult also to fix the following:

Interior door handles need replacing on driver side.
Exterior lock driver side is broken(key doesn't work, but central locking button opens it).

Electric window is stiff on driver side also. Any of these things likely to fail the car on test? Cheers. Considering purchasing this car.

If there are no leaks in the exhaust, then it should be ok for the test? Does the new box look shiny? The door has to lock, so that should be ok also, as will the window. The door handle inside will need replacing, not sure how hard it is. But run it in for the test and see what it fails on, then leave it back if the list is to long? Otherwise you are buying blind, which is fine if you are in the trade and the car is cheap, but can be annoying/expensive otherwise.

I know that isn't easy to do, at least ask if they will book it in for the test (you may have yo pay) and see what they say back to you.
Worst case scenario, if it needs suspension arms, the inside door lock wont be a deal breaker?

Anyone know why a mufler on a Seat 1.4 petrol would make noise on startup, even after a new one was fitted? Also would car test fail on this issue(rumble on startup only)?
Hung badly and hitting the exhaust sheild?

It is fairly reasonably priced and open to negotiation. The mileage is about 90k, but the seller hasn't had the timing belt done and has had the car since around the 45k miles mark. That is a bit of a worry.

Sponsored Links
Back