Polo or Megane? Which would you choose?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Simple question. I'm looking for advice on which car would be the better option?

Both are year 2000. The Polo is a 1.4 litre Saloon and the Megane is a 1.4 litre hatchback sport. The Polo Air Conditioning, Immobiliser and Anti theft device and it has done around 90,000 miles.

The megane has alloys, air con, electric windows and mirrors, immobiliser, central locking and nearly tyres. It has done around 82,000 miles.

Trimmings like that are not top of my list of reasons to buy. I need to know that I can do 20 to 30K a year in my car. That is the most important thing.

Both cars are due to be tested and are sold as they are.

Both sellers claim that they will easily pass the test.

One seller is a used car dealer and the other is a private seller.

Both cars are the same price! Any advice is most welcome as I am seriously considering a change of vehicle! :)

Sponsored Links
Thats really putting us on the spot :p
Out of those two, I'd go for the Volkswagen, but both of these are fairly high mileage petrol cars......have you considered a diesel equivalent - Skoda, Seat, or others?
John :)

Well with the dealer, you have a come back. Private sale you dont.
How can another person really help you.
You must know what you are after.
Mileage..the same
Cost..the same
So do you want h/back or saloon.
Insurance?
MPG?
3,4,5 DOOR

:) On the spot indeed! I haven't really looked at Skoda or Seat. Are they better options do you think? Main reason for changing xar is to get a smaller engine, for cheaper tax and petrol so diesel would be considered if I thought that the car was going to be decent and reliable?

Sponsored Links
Well with the dealer, you have a come back. Private sale you dont.
How can another person really help you.
You must know what you are after.
Mileage..the same
Cost..the same
So do you want h/back or saloon.
Insurance?
MPG?
3,4,5 DOOR

Genuinely not fussy but more concerned about which car might be more reliable, and safer, and less known trouble etc? The rest doesn't really matter to me. :)

If you are looking at another 20 to 30k miles a year, I reckon that diesel power is a must....taxi drivers favour the Skoda Octavia - with mileages that have been to the moon and back a few times!
I'd say go for a larger engine, which must have less stress on the engine and transmission.

Would a diesel do more mileage generally? If I was only doing 10k miles a year would diesel still be a better bet? And would a diesel need more regular servicing on oil and air etc?
I'll have a look at some of the Skodas so? But I'd prefer even to go down to a 1.4 for tax cost reasons? What 1.4 cars, diesel or petrol would be a good bet? Thanks all.

Would a diesel do more mileage generally?
No, they are just more fuel efficient, hence if your doing higher millages can work out better. However they are more expensive to buy, and can be more expensive to fix.

Depending on what you doing, certainly motorway miles, a smaller engine may not mean better mpg.

Daniel

Volkswagen petrol or diesel big or small. Renault are ok but not at that age/mileage. Audi, but the mileage will be higher.

VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda use the trusted 1,9TDi regardless, Now starting to push the smaller 1.4TDi though not easily got secondhand over here. Audi A2's Skoda Fabia not sure where Seat use the !.4TDi.
The 1.9 will be hard to tax unless you go commercial?
But everyone has their own favorites

I had the megane, a very comfortable seat & drove fine.

But get the timing belt changed unless they can prove it has been done at 72k

Thanks for all the advice. I may only have to do 10K next year as it turns out so sticking with a petrol car might not be a big problem. I am certain that I want a smaller engine size though as the tax rates in Ireland are expensive once you go over 1.4/1.5. But since I could be doing the odd 200 mile return trip a couple of times a year, I'm thinking I best not go below 1.3. Would love a Corolla or an Almera, but I doubt I'll have the budget for them. Parting with my Carina will be difficult but it owes me nothing at this stage and the engine is still going strong after almost 250k. It's just the tax prices that are making me want to change.

Would love a Corolla or an Almera...
I dont think ive ever heard someone say that, although they are nto as such bad cars.

Well, I have had a Corolla before and found it to be very reliable. Hearing the same about the Almera.
Are you suggesting that the Polo and Megane would be better options? What type of car would you recommend?
I buy cars based on the following:

1. Reliability/good engine
2. Capable of decent mileage
3. Good on Fuel Economy
4. Good price on tax and insurance
5. Engine size
6. Make sure it is not the type of car that would be eyed by the local car thief.

Like I say, I am open to suggestion. But the car I do buy will most likele be 10 or so years old. And looking through the prices for all types of cars from back then, the Corolla and the Almera are among the most expensive? But like I say, I am open to any make so long as it is going to give me what I need.

I wouldn't have thought the Almera commanded a high price? It was never a good seller....
A reasonable car that no one really likes is the Ford Fusion 1.4 TDCi......
they go for little cash around here.
I wouldn't discount the Berlingo Multispace either....a really good car derived van.

Sponsored Links
Back