timing belt, what would you do?

Thanks for that. I am not much of a regulations reader. Is it mandatory that they must offer a while you wait service? They are all very keen to have the car left with them. I know a local one that insists on it or not do the job.
They all must have a poster (and notify DVSA) of their opening days and hours. There are two columns on that poster giving the days and times for 'tests by appointment' and 'tests on demand'. Most places just say 'by appointment only' but will do one straight away if they are not busy. Not many actually offer tests on demand.

Sponsored Links
Not many actually offer tests on demand.

Ok, in that case, I meant I only go to MOT places where they do MOT on demand and I could watch. The viewing area is worthless otherwise. I would say the regulation is designed to be circumvented.

Ok, in that case, I meant I only go to MOT places where they do MOT on demand and I could watch. The viewing area is worthless otherwise. I would say the regulation is designed to be circumvented.
(n) You have to be allowed to watch irrespective of whether its an on demand test or a by appointment one. On demand means you can just turn up and if they have free ramp with no waiting customers you can get a test, by appointment means you book a specific day/time.

(n) You have to be allowed to watch irrespective of whether its an on demand test or a by appointment one. On demand means you can just turn up and if they have free ramp with no waiting customers you can get a test, by appointment means you book a specific day/time.

How do you watch if the garage insists you leave it with them?

Sponsored Links
How do you watch if the garage insists you leave it with them?
As Stivino says.
Just tell them "No thank you, I'd like to see the test carried out". Anyone who insists on watching could well be from the DVSA on an incognito visit. They won't say no and they won't chance taking liberties as long as you act confidently. ;):whistle:

I don't care for free lunch. I am more concerned with extras being thrown in. I am happy with what I've got, I don't need more, I don't need less.
I work for a car manufacturer. Believe me, we don't do recalls unless there's a bloody good reason and someone has a gun to our head! Getting a recall done is the socially-responsible thing to do. If not for you, then for the next owner or other road users. There are calls to make it an MOT fail to have an outstanding recall. Needless to say, I'd prefer owners to "do the right thing" without regulation, but sometimes, it becomes necessary...

I am somewhat in tune with machines. So, I would know if the interval is correct after the first change, by assessing the material condition. If the car works fine, and it doesn't get used, then it will stay fine. Also, the manufacturers recommendations will be conservative. With a good condition car, doubling the recommended interval should be fine. If you are able to assess materiel condition, then you can go as long as you want.
So... you obviously never had an old Alfa 156 where Alfa decided to get greedy and go for the company car market. Despite what their engineers told them, their marketing people ended up setting the cam belt change interval to 72,000 miles, in order to appeal to fleet buyers, who would have disposed of the cars long before then. Needless to say, it didn't work out, and belts regularly failed. After that, they put it around the dealer network that the dealer had to "inspect and replace if necessary" at 36,000 miles. They specified an inspection process, which involved taking the belt off and bending it back on itself to look for cracks at the roots of the teeth. It was all bullshit, of course! They knew darned well that no dealer was ever going to carry out all the labour of taking a belt off and then putting it back on again, regardless of what the teeth looked like! Pretty much all the cost of a job like that, was in the labour. Plus, of course, any dealer who DID decide the belt was OK and put it back on for another 36,000 miles knew full well that if it failed before then, Alfa UK would turn round and say "well you checked it"! Bloody nasty, it was...

...anyway, don't let that put you off "inspecting" your own cam belt. I'm sure you'll be fine...:LOL:

Yeah unfortunately (cost wise) I wouldn't be doing the work myself, so it's not a cheap job, especially when combined with service and mot. I say to people 'even if the car costs me £500-£1000 per year to keep on the road, it's still relatively cheap motoring compared to buying a new(er) car. And I stand by that logic. However, and I know this sounds contradictory to what I've just typed, the reason I'm reluctant on doing the belt is because it was only done 4 years back and the car has hardly moved in the interim! No one has a crystal ball, however it's a biggish job to do if it's not really required.

It's always a mixed opinion thing, some say stick with the documented service intervals (which would mean getting it done this year) some say the belt will likely be good for 7-10 years.

Of course, given I don't need a new(er) car, it would be a valid argument to say 'get it done' to further ensure (as far as one can) the car keeps on going for another x years without that specific worry.

Yeah, it's a tough one. If it were mine, I'd probably leave it another year, but not much longer. It's really all down to what the car is worth to you, and what you'd have to spend to replace it with something as good or better.

Why was the belt looked at in the beginning of that event? Sounds like a DIY job went bad. A good condition car would be a car that works fine and mildly driven. The start stop of the taxi wouldn't be in good condition. The belts would be the least of its problems. A car that lives a sedentary life would be good condition - grocery shopping, rest a few days, go to the post office, go to the airport on occasions etc. A lot of people's cars would fall into this category. A car that is driven like a race car, whether it is a race car or not, would not fit in this category.
For someone who claims to be "in tune" with things mechanical, that's a very surprising point of view! I'd take the car that's been thrashed up the motorway by some rep and serviced regularly, over the one that's done far fewer miles at the hands or the "little old lady pootling backwards and forwards to the shops"!

Why would a lotus have a timing belt and not chain? They must have gone cheap on it. Do ferraris come with rubber timing belts too? Genuine question, I am not a car nut, and only someone who's interested in going from A to B cheaply and without hassle or work. I have managed to do that and it's not a wind up. The car is never touched by a garage except for MOT. So, no funky stuff for it. I only go to MOT places where I can watch them. I don't even want to go the the official dealer even though they keep sending me red letters. Got another one today. They are remarkably keen for an 18 year old car.
Yes, some Ferrari engines have belt-driven cams. They offer some performance advantages over chains. And yes, depending on which Lotus, some had belt-driven cams.

The original Ford Endura engine was similar.....two belts, change both at 36000 :( Horrible, clunky old lump it was too.
Unfortunately timing chains are letting go too - maybe that's due to extreme oil change intervals, I don't know. There doesn't seem to be an exact formula but it's belts for me......nice and quiet, most are easy enough to deal with.
John :)
I must say, I've been disappointed in some more modern chain-driven cams. Some of it, I think, is that the engines rev higher now, and there is a lot more valve lift. 50 years ago, a cam with (say) 500 "thou" of valve lift, was probably a racing car. These days, it's not uncommon in pretty ordinary cars - plus variable valve timing, of course, and stop-start.

As Stivino says.
Just tell them "No thank you, I'd like to see the test carried out". Anyone who insists on watching could well be from the DVSA on an incognito visit. They won't say no and they won't chance taking liberties as long as you act confidently. ;):whistle:
They might also, of course, be extra thorough and do everything strictly by the book...;)

They might also, of course, be extra thorough and do everything strictly by the book...;)
Nah - any benefit of doubt as to a pass/fail decision must always be given to the vehicle presenter.

Nah - any benefit of doubt as to a pass/fail decision must always be given to the vehicle presenter.

Indeed, but if I was a tester and I thought a DVSA inspector might be looking over my shoulder, I'd be pretty thorough...;)

Indeed, but if I was a tester and I thought a DVSA inspector might be looking over my shoulder, I'd be pretty thorough...;)
Well, they are not allowed to bring a car along with faults on them so it's the actual process they are checking. Such as often forgotten things such as checking the fuel cap, sun visor, boot floor etc.

Sponsored Links
Back