Hydrated lime for rendering behind a wood burning stove.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m going to be rendering the alcove in which our wood-burning stove will live. Lime (1:3 with sharp sand?) seems like the way to go. I have a large bag of hydrated lime in a shed which is pretty waterproof, but it does get a little damp from time to time. The bag has been in there for about a year. Is this lime going to be OK? Would the fact it’s older affect the ratio at all? It seems the same sort of consistency as when I bought it.

Also, I’ve not worked with lime before, but I’ve plastered with gypsum with reasonably good results. (certainly good enough for the inside of this alcove). Apart from ensuring the wall is soaking, the mixture is reasonably dry when applying, and the wall up as well as I can, is there any different technique I need to use? I’ve heard it’s easier as you have more time to work it?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back