Hydraulic Hinge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys!

Not sure if anyone can help me out with this question or not, is there anyone out there that has some knowledge on hydraulic hinges?

What I plan to do is mount a computer monitor on the bottom of a chest lid. So what I require is a hinge which will prevent the lid from slamming shut and also allow me to angle the lid if I need to change the monitor angle. Bit of a strange project I know but any advice would be much appreciated.

My main concern is whether these hinges would be able to support the weight of the chest lid and computer monitor. I notice the below hinges have different strengths/pressures, do you know if any of these would be strong enough?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hydraulic...es_LE&var=&hash=item3a8d079166#ht_9726wt_1161

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Well here is a picture of the chest in question. I plan to put the monitor on the bottom of the lid and put 2 hydraulic hinges either side.

Interesting project!
Easy to over power the lid with those rams!
I can imagine conflict between demands 'soft close', 'self supporting' and 'adjustable' the last being the real challenge with gas rams.

How about having the screen in its own adjustable (tilting) frame, leaving the door with only 'soft close ' and 'self supporting ' ?

A pair of below might do these 2 tricks as they are adjustable unlike g rams.

http://www.diy.com/nav/build/doors/...ZwAAAWWOxNu-:20140427203239:s&noCookies=false

Updates please!

Sponsored Links
That's certainly food for thought! Thanks! :)

The reason why I'm not using a monitor mount which tilts is because I need to mount the monitor as close to the lid as possible so that there is as much room in the chest for the components when the lid is closed. I realise the amount of space I save will be very small but every little helps as they say! :)

Maybe I can combine the door closers with a hinge which I can lock in place to control the angle? I'll see what else I can find.

Thanks for the input! Exactly the kind of advise I was looking for! Much appreciated.

You could also include a gas-strut (as used on the tail gate of cars) to take some of the weight, they are not the easiest to work with and for a one of you would be limited to an off-the-shelf option, but with the friction hinge as well could work better than friction alone.

Daniel

I can see where you are coming from but I can't see how the gas strut could offer extra support used alongside the friction hinges? I was actually thinking about using one of the door closers which magiclintel suggested in the middle of the lid between the 2 friction pivot hinges for extra support. Or do you still think the gas strut would be a better option?

I have only ever replaced the correct gas struts to boot of car and never met friction hinges. That said I expect you might have fun making something close to a jack in the box, trying to balance mighty gas rams with friction hinges. How weak can they be made?

If you are willing to forgo the fancy of an automatic opening/erecting thing, it might just be better to use friction hinges and lift it open all the way to the right position?
Edit. On the other hand you might arrange the g rams to pass over centre as you open the lid: one end fixed to inner front wall of box, other end to 'fangs' -brackets protruding out of bottom of lid. This way rams would resist opening of lid until past 2 inches of opening. before assisting....

I have never gotten to a great place doing this kind of thing without having a pile of redundant parts left over each that seemed a good idea at the time!
Part of the fun! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back