Hygroscopic Salts on Chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We have a 1930s house and blocked the chimney 2 years ago as below. This is an external wall.
Before

After

Mistake no1 - we didnt add a vent to the bottom - this has now been added by drilling holes in the plasterboard area and adding the vent

We also had the roof replaced at the time. Late year some damp patches started appearing halfway up the wall above where the grey plasterboard is in the photo above. These became progressively worse during the persistent wet weather this winter (I live in Glasgow). We had the chimney checked by a roofer who said the sealant was gone and water was getting in. He fixed it.The chimney "stack" is a metal flue pipe.
The damp patches now have salt deposits appearing. My amateur research tells me these are salt deposits

So how to fix- if i chip the plaster back then apply some sealant and replaster, will this work? Do i only need to be concerned about the damp areas or the whole wall? The damp areas have not become larger since we had the roof repaired and added a vent.

Any ideas as to materials etc? I am happy to give it a go myself but if too complex will call in a pro.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Presuming that you still have a flue going up an external chimney breast? do you have a pic?
Assuming no metal flue liner, did you originally sweep the flue before blocking it off?
There should be through ventilation bottom to top of the flue.
Hack off back to brick, and render with a 3:1 sand & lime mix with a limelite finish.
Hack off 300mm beyond any salt signs.
Dont use any sealant.

Why not read up on some of my previous posts about dealing with your situation?

Thanks Bob - no we didnt sweep the flue. There was a gas fire there previously. I'll check out your posts. Thanks again

Sponsored Links
a 1930's house will definitely have had a solid fuel fire.
still dont know if there's a SS liner in the flue?
still no pic of the c/breast?
perhaps its time to get someone on the stack again - to check & photo the condition of the metal terminal, the flaunching and the flashing.
go in your loft and look for staining around the external chimney breast?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back