hypethetical question...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
...and it is one.....any reason why you couldnt wire a whole house in flex?

Sponsored Links
Not sure there is any reg saying you can't anymore (but AFAIK there used to be)

I'm sure someone once told me that flex is more suseptable to rodent damage though, not sure how valid that is though...

No 100% reason why not, infact caravans should be wired in flex.
Few reasons I wouldn't do it:
Cost
The installation would be floppy!
Flex is round, twin and earth is flat so you'd have to chase out deeper.

You'd probably drive yourself insane crimping ferrules or pins on every single cable.

Sponsored Links
im deffo with you both but it sort of goes against everything i was ever taught, like it seems like it should be wrong but i cant think of a good reason why it is, if you get my meaning..

It's just not the accepted way to do things. Flex is used for fixed installs all the time, though. Think heating.

oh absoulutley, did it for a few years myself but always used t&e from the board to the s-f-s on a new circuit.

to be fair it wasnt really about a point just if you were allowed. i now work for a wholesaler so its not really an issue anymore! :LOL:

My mate had a big boat built and then set it up as a big floating cafe in bristol. I went to have a look while it was being fitted out, and sure enough the whole place was wired in grey round flex. Looked pretty neat actually, but then I suppose a boat has a bit more give in it than a house, so flex is probably the ideal choice.

i did the same when i was an apprentice, did the wiring in the boat yard and the last few bits whilst on the canal in central brum.
some p*ssed up blokes let the bloody thing go... yup, that was slightly embarrasing!
:oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back