I am no Tiler

as my Dad reaches the end of his life, family members are urging me to get in touch and make things up with him before it is too late,

Maybe it is too late already.

I haven't spoken to my dad for 28 years. We didn't fall out or anything like that. It just took me a long time to realise that he may well be amoral. It was around about the same time that I finally appreciated the sacrifices that my mother made.

I may have (metaphorically) lost a biological father but over the years my stepfather has gone from someone who made my childhood hell to being someone that I will miss a hell of a lot when he shakes off his mortal coil.

I honestly do not think I will miss my father. I don't think I ever really knew him. Even when my sister and I stayed with him it was normally his girlfriends that paid us attention.

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck.

Sponsored Links
This Be The Verse

They fc uk you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were fc uked up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another’s throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don’t have any kids yourself.

By Philip Larkin.

Makes me weep, that does.

My Dad buggered off when I was 2. I saw him some Sundays when I was a kid, but that was it, apart from a visit when he was teaching in Borneo in 1981 (when I was getting on for 16), which his employers paid for.
I saw him reasonably regularly (usually he called when he wanted me to do something for him), until I was forced to give up driving on medical grounds. now, I only speak to him if I pick up the phone, or see him if someone takes me round.

I can understand he may not want to see me as whenever I did see him I used to lay into him for being an absent father, but I don't do that any more. He was a bsatard to my Mum, no bias here, he admits it: he used to play around all the time and was often out of his head on booze and cannabis and left her to do the housekeeping, cooking and childcare.

I thought things might change when my kids came along. I understood he may not engage with them as babies, but when they got older, I thought he would like to read to them (he's a retired EFL English teacher), encourage them to read and maybe play chess. But not a bit of it. He was not interested in the slightest.
Whenever we visited him, it was as if we were hindering his routine, preventing him from writing his books.

Try as I might to avoid it, I can see some of him in me and I hate myself for it. I haven't always been the best Dad to my boys and it causes me great anguish. I know I can't turn the clock back , but....

And now, as my Dad reaches the end of his life, family members are urging me to get in touch and make things up with him before it is too late, but I can't. They say I will regret it for the rest of my life if I don't, but I can't. There's just too much anguish, regret and self-loathing.

That's me and my dad as well down to a T!.

I've just tried the best I possibly can for my two kids and hopefully they think I'm a good dad (most of the time anyway!).

Sponsored Links
SS , what caused you to bring this up on a 4 month old thread? You must be feeling the pain. At least it's shown you're not the only one.

Yeah, I don't normally bump (unless I don't notice the date), but what I read prompted me to write. Writing it down has helped me no end.

So are you comfortable with your decision not to make contact? My relationship with my father showed signs of possible improvement and then he died...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back