I am parting with old electrical tools Lathe, Bandsaw etc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Dad passed away earlier this year.

His shed has quite a few large electrical tools like Lathes, Bandsaws, etc. My mum is keen to get rid of these but I haven't the room.

I would rather not junk them but pass them to someone who will use them. Is it OK to pass these on, or could I be liable if they are unsafe?

If I can pass them on what's the best way, they are in Lydney within the Forest of Dean.

Sponsored Links
There is s difference between selling things, knowing they are unsafe.

And giving things away with no idea of their safety.

For your own piece of mind, just let people know you have no idea of how safe or not the items are.

Advert in the local paper, or there is a website called 'Freegle' I think.
If you are on Facebook you could also sell/give them away on Marketplace. Not sure how you do it but a lot of people use it.
You could make yorself, or you mum, a few bob by asking for 'Reasonable Offers', or if you just want to get rid of them just say something like 'Free to first offer'. Tell them the items are sold as seen and buyer collects, (unless you don't want people to know where you live and save any hassle of them moaning after they have got the items, in which case you will have to deliver).

I disagree, it's not uncommon to see blatantly unsafe power tools advertised on Marketplace, I daresay some will buy under the illusion they're OK to use. Some people need saving from themselves. Personally I wouldn't sell any unsafe power tool even with a clear description.

Sponsored Links
The older woodworking tools and machinery are generally much better built than modern stuff and they can be quite sought after so i would do some research before you just give them away. Check out any makers names and model numbers via eBay or online for prices and you may well be suprised. Another option is sending them to auction and look up one near you for advice as they will also collect and do all the hard work for you. you can list them as untested and after the auctioneers commission you could earn a few bob.

Depending on urgency, I would use eBay sales to check the sold prices for items. Not the advertised price.
Make it quite clear that the stuff is “untested”
I would be tempted to use Facebook (collection/cash only)

there could be some kind of woodwork (?) local club?
if the stuff is metal work based the value goes up.

Wasn't intending to sell to be clear but thanks for all your thoughts I will take a look.

These could be worthless, or worth thousands, which I'm sure your mum would appreciate and your dad would, how can I say this? Not be turning in his grave! My dad died the other year and I'm still working through the contents of his garage. A bit of eBay research as suggested by tigercubrider - most tools have "id" or model numbers to help. I'm in the thousands with my dad's stuff as it was his retirement hobby.

If there's anything worth selling just explain the situation and clearly state that everything is sold as "spares/repair as you are unable to test" - this will cover you without devaluing the stuff too much.

If there's anything worth selling just explain the situation and clearly state that everything is sold as "spares/repair as you are unable to test" - this will cover you without devaluing the stuff too much.

Could add, the potential buyer is welcome to run a quick test on an item, if there is power available. It might help the value.

Perhaps look for your local "mens shed" and ask them to come round, they would likely be delighted to be given some tool that the old codgers can use to make bird boxes etc.

When you sell privately you are under no obligation as to the safety or worthiness of the item. It's "buyer beware" "sold as seen" etc. As long as you the seller make no statements as to the suitability or condition.

When you sell privately you are under no obligation as to the safety or worthiness of the item. It's "buyer beware" "sold as seen" etc. As long as you the seller make no statements as to the suitability or condition.
For sure but there is a moral standpoint, like selling a car with a known dangerous defect.

For sure but there is a moral standpoint, like selling a car with a known dangerous defect.
Yes, but if the OP does not have a clue about dad's tools, then that's what he would say and let the buyer do the checks or make an offer based on the unknown condition. Say the OP did not actually know if the loud rumbling and shaking of the shed was normal for the tool or a defect, he's got no obligation to describe it as a defect, possible defect or mention it at all.

If the OP turned one on and it went "bang-fizz" and smoke appeared, then yes there may be an obligation to mention it morally as a potential defect, but maybe not legally - unless specifically asked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back