preventing tools etc rusting in a shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place but I suppose its the nearest since its about tools.
I'm moving house this week, the new house has a fair sized shed in which I plan (rather am FORCED to by the woman..) to store my tools and also do any work in (once I fit an alarm etc). I am however concerned about evrything going rusty. The shed will (once I get on with it) have electric, I thought maybe some kind of heater that is set on a timer to come one periodically may help? or will I need to line the shed maybe?

Sponsored Links
Insulate, especially the roof, then your heater will do some good... it's the cold giving condensation that causes trouble.

the floor will probably not have a dpc so it will always be damp... is it worth putting down a plastic dpc and new floor of board or slabs on top?

And rust is much much worse on uncovered steel than if it's covered - the dust and grit seems to encourage dust and corrosion. If you put a bit of steel plate in the shed with a rag on it, next spring you wil find the bit under the rag is realtively bright while the rest is brown and rusty.

garden tools and lawnmowers benefit from a spray or wipe with WD40.

Spanners and things should be in your toolbox, I'm undecided if you should give them a wipe with an oily rag; although it helps preserve them, they are more likely to slip in your hand and cause an accident.

Never use a paraffin or gas heater as they create steam.

You don't need much heat to keep it dry - I have a tubular heater with a 15A room stat on it; it only takes about 25Watts and only runs when it's cold (but this is insulated and brick with a dpc, so not very damp anyway.

Thanks for the reply,

I am unsure until we get the keys tomorrow as to wheter the shed has any insulation at all, if it doesnt, then it will have (a new post will be made if this is the case)
What is a dpc? I really need to stop the rust as I'll be putting all my power tools in there and I simply cant afford to replace them - most are dewalt and not cheap.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Damp Proof Course. I think people say damp-proof membrane (DPM) these days (it means "piece of thick polythene" usually)

p.s. if you put your power tools in your shed, let me know the address, as I have a part-time job as a burglar.

Thanks,

I'll have a check tomorrow.

p.s. if you put your power tools in your shed, let me know the address, as I have a part-time job as a burglar.

No probs, you can have the addy but not details of my cameras or burglar trap (yeah i know you cant construct a device to deliberatly injure burglars but you can leave things wobbly "by mistake"!) - I wont tell you about the alarm either - not that it will be good for much apart from waking me up and scaring the birds!

I'll most likely post back for more help once I've had a proper look tomorrow.

Thanks again

eggplant said:
I wont tell you about the alarm either - not that it will be good for much apart from waking me up and scaring the birds!

Like the neighbours, you'll just roll over in bed muttering "bloody alarms on the blink again"

I use the little packets of silica gel (that you get in shoe boxes) in my tool boxes, they work great! ;)

ive got one of these in my workshop
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4158350.htm

the stat on min gives a degree frost setting constantly variable to well in excess of 20 degree [i turn it off when the temp is about 15]

the main use is to stop the temperature dropping below 3 degrees and raising the temp to 10 or 12 the minimum temp the wood glue works at

my workshop is fairly well sealed up but no insulation 10ft by 12 ft

i recon it cost me between £35 and £50 over the winter in costs to keep the temp abouve 3 degree and up to10 degree for probably 25% of the remainder off the day
i have had no trouble with rusting or pitting of any power or hand tools and take no other precautions
workshop002.jpg

nowt wrong with rusty tools, in fact i like the "used" look. :LOL:

and big -all.... how the freck are those birds gonna nest with all them power saws in ya shed? :LOL: ;)

i made 2 birdboxes from the offcuts as i had loads of less than 18" and i hate waste :LOL: :LOL: ;)

apart from the local cats no other creature has paid any attention to them :cry:

Many thanks all,

I think I'll go with the heater option. That said, now I've had chance to have a proper look, the shed is far smaller than I thought it was and I need a shed extension! Is it feasable to extend one?

Thanks

For tools in a toolbox I put an old piece of towel with a little engine oil on it over the tools and it keeps them clean and bright - also useful for cleaning hands after using them. Similarly putting an old piece of slightly oily towel over power tools helps to keep moisture out too.
I find this effective cheap and easy.

John B.

why not use a tubular heater or 2, much safer than a blow fan heater

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back