Shed

I thought the OP understood the FCU is at the house end ?
Why are you suggesting running a unprotected spur ? :confused:

DS

Sponsored Links
Just seen a quote from the 17th edition "PVC insulated cable supported on catenary wire- height above pathway:3.5m min.
height above driveway: 5.8m min.
span: unlimited. "
Not sure where you saw that quote, but it's not from the Wiring Regulations - they don't contain any prescriptive heights.

You must make sure that the cable won't be damaged by any reasonably foreseeable event. I guess at only 2.6m that includes carrying ladders, garden tools etc.

Sponsored Links
I thought the OP understood the FCU is at the house end ?
Why are you suggesting running a unprotected spur ? :confused:
DS
I have given the OP three FCU options - all comply with the regulations.
While not ideal, where does it say that the OP cannot JB the Ring Final circuit in the loft - run a rubber sheathed 2.5mm2 to the shed into the FCU and then onto his socket and or switch?

It doesn't . i just don't give **** advice :LOL:

Kindest regards,

DS

Not sure where you saw that quote, but it's not from the Wiring Regulations - they don't contain any prescriptive heights.
OSG. (Table 4B in my ancient {red} version) - so, as you say, not regulations.
You must make sure that the cable won't be damaged by any reasonably foreseeable event. I guess at only 2.6m that includes carrying ladders, garden tools etc.
Even the OSG's 3.5m would be inadequate for many ladders, if carried vertically - mine is well over 4m.

Kind Regards, John

I would still want to see the (13A) fused protection for the overhead wire at the house end
if you do not do this, any fault on your bit of 1.5mm or 2.5mm cable is protected by the 32A mob in the consumer unit. - you know what can happen to overhead cables……

Of course, there will need to be another FCU in the shed (3A) for the lighting.

where does it say that the OP cannot JB the Ring Final circuit in the loft - run a rubber sheathed 2.5mm2 to the shed into the FCU and then onto his socket and or switch?
Not only does it nowhere say the OP cannot, 433.2.2. says he can.

Agree with TCC, you need to be able to isolate the shed when it's blowing away ! And, if you have RCD protection and it trips you can isolate the shed to determine if it's causing the trip by using the DP FCU.

Regards,
DS

I would still want to see the (13A) fused protection for the overhead wire at the house end ... if you do not do this, any fault on your bit of 1.5mm or 2.5mm cable is protected by the 32A mob in the consumer unit. - you know what can happen to overhead cables……
Whilst I would personally also want to see an FCU at the house end, it's very probable that a 32A MCB would afford adequate fault protection for the cable, and it doesn't really matter which end of the cable the overload protection is provided. However, only an electrician (or someone else 'in the know') could confirm that.

Kind Regards, John

Ok so a 30amp junction box in loft, rubber sheathed 2.5mm cable out to under eaves down wall to this( http://www.screwfix.com/p/bg-13a-switched-weatherproof-rcd-fcu/20523) mounted at about 2.5m from ground. 2.5mm rubber sheathed cable back up wall to as high as possible then across to shed supported by catenary wire. Cable in to shed to a double switched socket. Feed taken from that to a 5amp FCU thence to light switch and then light fitting. How does that sound? Sorry to have started a bit of flaming. Thank you everyone for your feedback.

Ok so a 30amp junction box in loft, rubber sheathed 2.5mm cable out to under eaves down wall to this( http://www.screwfix.com/p/bg-13a-switched-weatherproof-rcd-fcu/20523) mounted at about 2.5m from ground. 2.5mm rubber sheathed cable back up wall to as high as possible then across to shed supported by catenary wire. Cable in to shed to a double switched socket. Feed taken from that to a 5amp FCU thence to light switch and then light fitting. How does that sound? Sorry to have started a bit of flaming. Thank you everyone for your feedback.
Use a Switched FCU in the shed as your light switch.

Use a Switched FCU in the shed as your light switch.
Indeed (and a 3A fuse will be sufficient, no need for 5A). However, lest the OP misunderstands what you're saying, he will still also need a 13A FCU in the feed to the shed (at one end or the other, preferably the house end).

Kind REgards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back