I-Beams, T-Beams and Cutting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi does anyone know of a site online where you can price/buy I or T beams?

Can you get 150mm I-Beams or T-Beams?

I am really looking for a T-Beams 150-180 mm 3300mm Long!

I can't find any T-Beams what would be the best way to cut the top of an I-Beam to make it into a T-Beam, I am a bit scared to say the least about cutting it down with an angle grinder!

Do companies such as Travis Perkins stock I or T beams because they don't have them online?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,
No, builders merchants don't stock heavy steels. Look in Yellow pages for steel stockists. Most will cut and deliver! You really do not want to be cutting RSJ's.

Dunc

Tee-sections are cut from a universal beam or universal column (new rsj). Usually with a gas torch or plasma.
Depending on the width you want at the top decides what size section you would cut it from. Height wise, you could have almost whatever you want.
On cutting they can bow slightly, let them know you need it to be straight.
This is a job for a steel fabrication place, they will supply and cut the steel. Find a local one with yellow pages.

So they you an oxyacetylene torch for cutting it?
So the whole actual beam can bow, I need it to be straight!

Sponsored Links
Im saying it from my point of view as a fabricator, if you just cut straight from one end to the other, it will bow. But if you start the cut 20mm in at each end and leave a bit in the middle, let it cool, then just zip through the last bits it will stay straight over such a short length. That will stop the bowing caused by the heat from flame cutting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back